There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

AMG-DS Offline

(02-18-2021, 08:40 AM)peter Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 04:46 AM)AMG-DS Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 06:43 AM)peter Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 08:18 AM)AMG-DS Wrote: Does anyone have more information on this tiger?

https://tuoitrenews.vn/society/25561/vietnam-hotel-boss-nicked-for-buying-303kg-dead-tiger-to-make-bone-glue

I remember the report because of the remarkable weight of the tiger. I tried to find out more, but came up empty.
The image on the left corresponds to the tiger that weighed 303 kg, the image on the right corresponds to another tiger that weighed 120 kg. Both images show that similar weighing scales were used, and taking into account the green scales, we can compare sizes between the two specimens.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Below is an image showing dimensions on a scale similar to that shown in the image on the right side.

So, it can be concluded that the tiger that weighed 303 kg was clearly a large specimen.
What are your thoughts?

I knew about the pictures, but thought it wasn't enough to get to a conclusion. In order to get there, we need a better photograph showing the scale, the tiger and, for comparison, a man. A clear statement of the official involved in weighing the tiger would also help.  

I, however, do not doubt tigers in some parts of Indochina can grow to a large size. Over the years, I bought a few French books and magazins published in the days Vietnam was a French colony. Back then, all of those in the know (outfitters and hunters) agreed tigers from Annam in particular not seldom compared to 'Bengal' tigers. American hunters, for this reason, not seldom preferred Vietnam over India. Vietnam also was closer and cheaper, of course. 

Not every book I read is interesting, but some offer a lot of information. I would recommend 'Im Lande der roten Tiger' (Franz Jozef Graf Seefried, 1963) in particular. Seefried hunted in an unknown region close to the border with Cambodia. One of the tigers he shot was a male of 298 cm in total length. I posted a few scans and photographs in the tiger extinction thread. Here's one of the photographs I didn't post:

Informationwise, Oggeri's book ('I killed for a living', Safari press, limited edition, 2010) doesn't really compare, but it has some nice photographs. The scans of some photographs were posted in the tiger extinction thread. 

Most stories about large Indochinese tigers were, and still are, not taken very serious. A bit strange, as one of the largest skulls measured by Pocock was from Annam. A few years ago, a 'new' skull popped up in a document from, if not mistaken, Finland. The former owner had been shot in Johore (southern tip of Malaysia). According to Mazak ('Der Tiger', third edition, 1983, pp. 147), skulls of Panthera tigris corbetti (adult males) range between 318,5-365,0 mm in greatest total length. The skull described in the document from Finland, however, was 370 mm in greatest total length. The former owner of the skull of 365 mm, by the way, was also shot in that region. 

Here's a nice photograph of a tiger from Malaysia. This male also has a relatively large skull:

Quite some time ago, a friend interested in big cats visited an exhibition in the Paris Natural History Museum. One of the stuffed tigers he saw (shot in Vietnam) was larger and more robust than nearly all captive Amur tigers he had seen. His report was confirmed by a vet I knew. 

The facility I often visited in the period 1995-2008 usually had captive Amur tigers. One day, the director took me to a new arrival. It was a very healthy tiger enjoying a break of a few weeks (his trainer was on leave). His coat was deep orange and the stripes were long, thin and very black. Although not quite as tall, he definitely compared to most captive Amur tigers for length. The difference between them was the circus tiger was in very good shape. Every time he was allowed to lift a few weights in the large cage outside, the other big cats bought a ticket to watch him perform. They were as impressed as I was. His trainer said he was from Vietnam.  

I'm not saying captive Indochinese tigers compare to captive Amur tigers. At the level of averages, the difference between both subspecies is quite outspoken. But Indochinese tigers are not small. Same, by the way, for their wild relatives. Wild male tigers in Thailand (referring to recent information) average about 400 pounds.

To finish the post, here's one more from Thailand (recent). The angle resulted in a bit of distortion, but it was a large male:

Thanks for the information.

Both Indochinese and Indian populations appear to have similar weight ranges, however Bengal tigers are heavier on average, of course, there is not much data on Indochinese tigers.

I found 2 specimens that measured 330 cm and 335 cm TL (skin measurements):

2 users Like AMG-DS's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur - AMG-DS - 02-18-2021, 11:47 AM