There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest tiger?
Amur tiger
Bengal tiger
They are equal
[Show Results]

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Who is the "king" of tigers? - Bengal or Amur

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-13-2015, 09:24 AM by GuateGojira )

(09-12-2015, 04:49 PM)Thebingthing Wrote: I have a Bengal tiger skull from a large male 284cm long and 229cm wide, but the skull is enormous. It was an old skin rug from 1936 that needed restoration and I had the skull taken out. It measures approximately 44cm long and 36cm wide. I have only one of the two upper canines which I don't believe are particularly long but with full root is total of just under 14cm around the curve or 12cm straight.

Am happy to talk to anyone who wants to know more or for verification - my measurements are not particularly accurate as just done with a workmans retractable tape measure.

Let me know if you're interested.

Jonathan

Hello @Thebingthing, welcome to the forum.

About your large skull, that size reminds me the figure of Sterndale (1884), which measured a skull at 441 mm around the curve with a tape (387 mm straight). I guess that is the form that you measured your skull.

I will like to see a picture of the specimen (skull and skin, if possible). If you have a steel tape, it will be very difficult to measure the skull. However, if you have two vertical squares, like those used to keep books straight, you can place the tiger skull between them and measure the distance, just like a measurement between pegs. Check this image:

*This image is copyright of its original author

In this form, you can guess the greatest length of the skull. However, if you want a perfect measurements, you should use a caliper and take the size from the extreme of the premaxillary bones up to the end of the sagital crest. Using the same method, you can measure the real zygomatic wide. @peter has measured many skulls, he can give more tips.

Greetings.
4 users Like GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the "King" of the tigers? - GuateGojira - 09-13-2015, 09:23 AM