There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

South Africa HouseOfLions Offline

(08-11-2017, 05:55 AM)vinodkumarn Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 12:50 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 07:06 PM)Michael Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 05:31 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 06:14 AM)T Rabbit Wrote: i mean 8 years old ruling a territory is too much for a coalition as the male lions usually have just 2 years old of average territory control.
more than 7 years

That is what was usually said in documentaries, and is partially wrong, particularly when it comes to large coalitions.

The Mapogo males reached 6+ years of dominance, the Notch males about the same time, the Musketeer males have been dominant for at least 5 years I think.

So an extended dominance time is something to take note of, but it doesn't make them unbeatable, and certainly doesn't make them "better" than others.

I see that you like them, so do I. But over here we try to keep a balanced view of the lions without pretending one is way better than others so if I was you I'd try to temper those statements that border on fanatism a bit.

Thanks.

I wouldn´t use the coalitions from the Mara has a metric to determine the length of a coalitions dominance, for example in the case of the Musketeers I highly doubt without all the vet interventions Scarface has received over the years he would still be alive so removing the human interference from the equation we would most likely have the coalition reduced to three male lions and that would have changed a lot of things.

That said the same can be said for the SabiSands, I guess the Majingilanes are a good case study but if Dreadlocks wasn´t poached what would have happened, we can´t extract any meaningful data due to our own interference
If dreads wouldn't have been poached, then they would have held on a little longer.

But remember that they were still getting old. With Mak being 14, PB being 12, T being 10 and if dread was still alive, e would have been 12 as well. And rememebr that the selati were coming into their prime and as much as I love the Mapogos, that old age would have been the end of them.

But still, even while being old and 3, they held off the selati males as long as they did. And this while they were outnumbered.

The same can't be said about the manginjis. They haven't faced any threat like that. All lions they have fought have been in 2 or 3 max. And in the case of the selati, they never fought them as a 3 vs 4, they fought them as a 4 vs 1.

I respect them staying n power for so long but I hate when people leave out the reason why. If the matimbas hadn't separated, who knows what they might have accomplished. They were massive lions themselves and they were 6 strong!

Evolution Theory. Survival for the fittest!
Probably fittest here means physically as well as whoever are logically as well! (I Mean strategical/cleaver)
If Majis are able to pick up fight s which they are certain that they can win, why not other coalitions
In that sense they are clever and ruling for more time.

Sorry, but this is incorrect! The only reason they were able to pick their fights with smaller coalitions was because there was no other big coalition for them to fight! And that is the main reason why they have stayed in power for so long.

Like if coalitions as big as the manginjis, matimabas and selatis had not come into the sabi, then the mlowathis/Mapogos would have never been defeated. Their numbers were just too great!

As I said, imagine 6 Mapogos holding on to the west and there only being coalitions of 2/3 around them. The Mapogos would have never lost any battle if that were the case! That is literally what is happening here! You can keep saying they were smart in picking their fight but when you consider the fact that there were no other fights for them to pick, then you will understand what I am saying.

Don't get me wrong, it is clever but the only reason they have been able to do this is because of LUCK!
3 users Like HouseOfLions's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions - HouseOfLions - 08-11-2017, 07:00 PM
[email protected] - swtlei4u - 11-02-2017, 10:19 AM
[email protected] - swtlei4u - 11-08-2017, 09:59 AM
[email protected] - swtlei4u - 12-24-2017, 08:28 AM
[email protected] - Shaudimela - 04-12-2018, 05:02 AM
RE: The mighty Mapogos - HouseOfLions - 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM
RE: The mighty Mapogos - fursan syed - 02-17-2017, 03:31 PM
RE: The mighty Mapogos - HouseOfLions - 02-17-2017, 03:43 PM
RE: The mighty Mapogos - Tshokwane - 02-17-2017, 05:54 PM
RE: The Mighty Mapogos - lionjaguar - 10-30-2019, 01:05 AM
RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Potato - 10-30-2019, 09:13 PM
RE: The Mighty Mapogos - lionjaguar - 10-31-2019, 12:22 AM
RE: The Mighty Mapogos - Potato - 10-31-2019, 02:50 AM