There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brown Bears (Info, Pics and Videos)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(01-23-2019, 08:00 PM)brotherbear Wrote: However, neither are they puppies. Inland grizzlies are more aggressive than the coastal brown bears. Doug told of one particular grizzly which had set-up for an ambush just up the trail from him. Good thing for Doug he had plenty of outdoors experience. He also tells of a grizzly's "personal space" ( I can't remember the footage ) but if you were to blunder into his space, he is then dangerous. I also found it interesting that a grizzly will often make a bluff-charge ( like a gorilla ). 
Casey Anderson stated that had Timothy Treadwell tried living among inland grizzlies in the same manner as he did the coastal brownies, his career with bears would have ended sooner.

I live in a country, where inland brown bears can be found everywhere, of course more in eastern part of country, but there is no bear free zone in Finland outside cities. Of course bear is no puppy, it is important to know how they behave naturally when wondering in the woods. If sneaking as silent as you can against the wind, it is possible to meet a bear and make it surprised. Those situations are dangerous, because no-one knows how bear behaves in that situation, it is 50/50 if it flee or charge and if surprised badly, it can be a real attack.

Bluff charges are typical when bear isn´t surprised, but just feeling inconvenient, like mother bear with cubs or a bear near carcass, which it guards. In both cases you should stay calm and back off walking and facing that bear, not shouting like madman or running away.

What comes to bear ambushing a man, I am not quite sure if that is the case or not... could be if some bear is acting abnormal way. Maybe in same way as it would set up a moose or something if noticing it. I don´t think, that it has had anything personal against Peacock :) I have mentioned before, that in Finland in last century only one person has died in bear attack. I think, if I remember right, that in USA that number is also very low? Humans just aren´t in their "prey list".
4 users Like Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brown Bears (Info, Pics and Videos) - Shadow - 01-23-2019, 08:41 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - Sully - 03-04-2016, 07:15 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 06-15-2016, 03:05 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - Tshokwane - 08-22-2016, 12:39 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 08-22-2016, 06:07 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 08-22-2016, 09:06 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 11-21-2016, 07:46 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - Bronco - 11-26-2016, 09:36 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 11-26-2016, 10:27 AM