There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brown Bears (Info, Pics and Videos)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-28-2018, 11:59 AM by Shadow Edit Reason: typos )

(10-28-2018, 05:06 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 04:08 AM)Shadow Wrote: I put here one photo shortly. Dimensions can be and probably are not perfect, this is like fast sketch, but what should be quite right is how tall these animals are. I wrote earlier about it, that something like this would be nice to see made by an expert. But for instance size difference between biggest bears and gorilla might be more understandable with this kind of comparison.

Kodiak here is 10 feet, other one is brown bear scaled to 9 feet, then tiger to 8 feet and gorilla, as those usually are, about 6 feet. I think, that biggest gorilla ever has been 6 feet 6 inches.

But what do you guys think, who see this. I will take photo off soon, so badly done Grin

The idea is good, but comparative images are probably incorrect. For the Kodiak bear is used record height (3 m) while for gorilla is used only average height (6 feet). If you want to make correct proportions you should increase the height of gorilla to 6,6 feet (maximal) or you should decrease the height of Kodiak bear to its average height. For all animals should be used or average or record heights.
More importantly the tiger from the right looks like 3-3,5 times more massive than the gorilla which is impossible. The average weight of male Bengal tiger is 210-220 kg is only 30-40% more than the average weight of adult male gorilla (160 kg). If we assume that gorilla in the image weights 160 kg according your images the tiger should weight about 480-540 kg....
And better dont derail the brown bear tread with such a laughable stuff, there is a special tread for proportions called "Size comparisons".

Yes I know, that that picture isn´t in scale in all the ways, but as I wrote, I am asking more about idea to see different kind of comparisons, which opens up in different ways size difference of animals. What comes to gorilla, I think, that usually even 6 feet is a big gorilla. Kodiaks are known to be 3 meters more often than gorillas 6 foot 6  inches as far as can be understood from different sources, but of course 3 meters is pretty much as big as those can get. But I think, that there are a lot more 3 meter tall Kodiaks though. But to say as it is, I by accident had that gorilla there saved to that size and I was too lazy to do it again :) After all idea was to have some discussion, not to put there absolute truth in the first place.

Ridiculous maybe in a way, but still there are bears that tall, gorillas that tall when big ones and tigers are often said to be 8 feet when standing on 2 legs. I find this kind of comparison quite interesting though, but quite difficult to find. I am hoping to find some day a good one. Or maybe I have to find more measurements and do a better one :) Anyway it is for me quite interesting to see size comparisons with more dimensions, than always that old same from side. This kind of angle might make many understand better how scary some animals can be in real situation for each others and also real size difference, which can be in a way hidden in "old style" comparisons from side view when animals on 4 legs.. For instance gorilla can look quite big, but it is actually quite small when there is a really big bear dwarfing a gorilla like here can be seen. But nice to hear some opinions :)
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brown Bears (Info, Pics and Videos) - Shadow - 10-28-2018, 11:06 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - Sully - 03-04-2016, 07:15 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 06-15-2016, 03:05 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - Tshokwane - 08-22-2016, 12:39 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 08-22-2016, 06:07 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 08-22-2016, 09:06 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 11-21-2016, 07:46 PM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - Bronco - 11-26-2016, 09:36 AM
RE: Bear Photos and Videos - brotherbear - 11-26-2016, 10:27 AM