There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we tell how big cats are doing by the number of wild dogs in the area?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Interesting enough in regards to Puma vs Wolf predation, it comes down to one thing....
Trees.

Boone Smith made a great point, as the reintroduced wolf started to gain territory they found occasional pumas who had been attacked or killed by wolf packs but the areas that this occured where in treeless spots. But there was a opposite effect, in the areas where the puma could easily find cover or even attack from cover, they found wolves killed by puma.
A great video he showed is a puma casually walking up a slope, the first pack member walks past him and the Puma pays little attention to it, then the alpha its mate appear and they attack the Puma and finally the Puma makes a break for it and leaves the dogs in the dust. (Very impressive to see how fast a Puma actually is compared to Wolves).
But its reaction showed me what they think of one wolf compared to a Pack.

In regards to Dhole v Tiger Encounters, I am with Gaute on that one. I see no reason for a Dhole pack to give up 15+ members of its pack for a single Tiger kill. 2ndly, I highly doubt a tiger would allow it self to be killed by a pack. The same happens with a Lion, they will fight till they feel they cannot win, then they run. The advantage a big cat has over a wild dog is not only size, but its the abbility to determine when the fight is lost and escape. Wild dogs do not have this option, even young male lions have made breaks for it from a Hyenna clan. I don't think a prime male lion has much to concern himself with in regards to a hyenna clan unless of course its a very large clan. But if either had to compete with a Grey wolf pack I think the pack would probably win some battles or at least drive the cats off. If they can compete with Bear I am sure they could compete with Lions or Tigers from time to time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we tell how big cats are doing by the number of wild dogs in the area? - Pckts - 01-26-2015, 10:46 PM