There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saltwater Crocodile-Great White Shark interactions

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(02-10-2019, 02:00 AM)Pckts Wrote: This study https://vk.com/doc-100980341_473767469?h...4a44fcf09c states 
"Direct observations We compiled observations of feeding activities from records held by National Park rangers of Kakadu National Park. Direct feeding of crocodiles is likely to be biased towards crocodiles"

Which means none of these cases are verified, just word of mouth. Water buffalo in Australia are the domesticated breed and they are also smaller, I believe they are with in the same range as Capes but being domesticated would make them far less equip to defend attacks from a predator they know nothing of. Very few Cape Bulls will reach the 900kg mark, that is an outlier so a Crocodile predating on one would be extremely rare regardless. That being said, I've seen many Cape Buffalo and a Giant Saltie from Australia that they have in the Dubai Mall (look him up if you haven't seen him) and I can without a doubt that a Saltie would be able to predate on most Bovine I've seen, I'd pay good money to see them attempt on the Big Bulls I've seen though, it would be a fantastic sight. But the video and picture you showed are both Cows btw and I thought the video that's Titled "1 Ton Buffalo vs Croc" actually showed the Cow escaping, but I could be wrong there?

Now in regards to Giraffe, that is impressive but less so than a Bull Cape IMO, Giraffe are very awkward animals, especially when drinking or when they fall over, it's not easy for them to stand back up and with a croc latched on to it's leg, it's impossible but unless were talking about a young or smaller Black Rhino which is in the water, I have huge doubts that any Croc could ambush a rhino and not be overpowered immediately. 

Even a young Elephant is able to pull a large Croc back while in the water
watch @ 4:00

If the Rhino is in the water and deep enough for the Croc to pull it out, then maybe it could happen. 

In regards to Elephant Seals, sharks do take adults, but it's rare like you stated but Elephant Seal is a main prey item for GWS and you can see it time and again so I have little doubt that large Seal is on the menu from time to time.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Even in shallow water they are still able to maneuver fairly well

So Considering the size advantage for elephant seals over cape and water buffalo, I'd say their predation feats are fairly close.

Very good video hunting in shallow water, first time I see a Great White Shark hunting in shallow water. It can happen a Saltwater Crocodile and Great White Shark meeting in the coasts of Australia.
2 users Like epaiva's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saltwater Crocodile-Great White Shark interactions - epaiva - 02-10-2019, 04:31 AM