There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saltwater Crocodile-Great White Shark interactions

United States Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(04-08-2018, 08:20 PM)epaiva Wrote: In 2014 I asked croc expert in Saltwater crocodiles (Crocodylus porosus) Adam Britton the next two questions  attached is his answer.
Hello Adam, hope you and your family are having a very good time this days. Adam I have a few questions that I am sure you have the answer to them about Saltwater Crocodiles. 
1' What is the size of largest prey taken by a Saltwater Crocodile? 
2 Have a person seen Salwater Crocodilus fighting or interacting with Great White Sharks? if so what was the result of their clash?
The largest prey that saltwater crocodiles take is generally water buffalo, although only very large crocodiles can take on such powerful creatures. Generally salties take much smaller prey. There are no examples of salties taking on great white sharks that I know of, although it would be hypothetically possible I supposed, but so rare that actually finding evidence of it would be extremely unlikely. I don't rate the crocodile's chances against a good sized shark anyway. Happy New Year to you Edouard!

My personal opinion is that a Great White Shark will win if it fights with a Saltwater crocodile in open deep waters  because it can move freely with out any problems but if they do in shallow waters it would be a very different result with the Salwater crocodile winning the bout. I have never seen a video or information of them interacting so we have to wait until something like that is seen and filmed by a person, I think that if they meet each other they will go their own way with out any problem.

At equal length, I notice that the great white shark is substantially heavier than the saltwater croc. Whereas a big salwater croc seldomly weighs more than a ton, a great white shark can reach 2 tons. Thus I think a saltwater croc cannot reasonnably threaten a big shark. Aside from the fact that a shark could move much more freely in water than any croc.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saltwater Crocodile-Great White Shark interactions - Spalea - 02-08-2019, 12:46 AM