There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amur and Kaziranga Tigers - Habitat and Prey Analysis

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-02-2014, 06:51 PM by brotherbear )

Peter, your post makes a lot of sense to me. Perhaps the big cats and brown bears have managed to evolve and adapt so as to co-exist with each other. There is no doubt in my mind that more bears are killed by tigers than tigers by bears. The tiger is a pure predator in every sense of the word. He is a stealthy assassin and would rarely misjudge his prey. At a kill site, I doubt that a brown bear would challenge a tiger unless he has a considerable weight advantage, unless he is young and inexperianced or perhaps straight out of his winter's sleep. But, even where the bear is a healthy mature male with distinct weight advantage, I now know that this is not a sure win for him ( as I once believed ).
The brown bear has, in the distant past, lived among lions, tigers, and other big cats. In Pleistocene North America, there were numerous big cats for the grizzly to deal with. Well, perhaps I have strayed off topic here. But, I agree that besides his awesome strength, the tiger needs the advantage of quick reflexes, agility, and lethal weapons to stand a chance against the bears weight, strength, and stamina.

2 users Like brotherbear's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Amur and Kaziranga Tigers - Habitat and Prey Analysis - brotherbear - 12-02-2014, 06:50 PM