There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest of the bears?
Polar Bear
Kodiak Bear
[Show Results]

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The "King" of the bears - comparison between the Polar bear and the Brown bear

Panther Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-14-2018, 06:58 PM by Panther )

(12-14-2018, 02:23 PM)Shadow Wrote: I add this here still to point out, why I am very cautious with charts about bears, if there is no information about ages or times when weighed. We have now chart with 5 bears from Alaskan peninsula and age group is mentioned to be 9+ years. So all we know, that all bears should be at least 9 years old or older, no idea how much older oldest were. Average weight is told to be 389 kg and weighing time can be anything from spring to autumn.

Now when source file for Kodiak weights was found, it could be noticed, that when taking to comparison 5 Kodiak bears in age class 8-9 years old, average weight of 5 bears was 379 kg (835 lbs). It is not clear when these bears were weighed, but it looks like, that to this chart was included bears inside age class 8-9 and weights for sure could be from spring or autumn too.

Ok, so we have here bear average weights and no certainty about time of year when weighed. Then what comes to Alaskan peninsula bears also no idea how old bears have been, but from Kodiak bears it is clearly told, that no older, than 8-9 years old. So it is still unfair situation for Kodiaks. When looking all figures, it is impossible to add random figures, but there is one bear, which can be added to comparison, because anyone can see, that it is not included to chart. It is that 1346 lbs individual, which simply has to be older, than 9 years.

So, 5 Alaskan peninsula bears 9 years old or older, average weight 389 kg.
Then 5 Kodiak bears 8-9 years old, average weight 379 kg + 1 older Kodiak bear, weight 611 kg (1346 lbs). Average weight is now 417,5 kg and can anyone say, that this is unfair comparison based on known information about these charts?

So this is the reason, why I am very cautious with charts if there is not good information, that how data has been collected.

The average of 389kgs for Alaska peninsula Brown bear is clearly not a fair average for two reasons.

Reason 1: It based on Just 5 specimens to get the average for the whole population.

Reason 2: All bears weighed are 9+(10 or 11) individuals. These are post prime males, which are larger and heavier than 9 year old males. 

So, I fairly disagree with that average. However, the following chart (which I posted above) gave more reasonable average. 
*This image is copyright of its original author

It gives 357kgs(787lbs) based on 21 males. Which is more reasonable. 

Based on this chart, the average weight of adult male Kodiak bear is 700lbs. 
And Logically these kodiaK bears are started from age group of no less than 8year old individuals. 

Don't get the impression of 8 year old males are no less than 700lbs because individuals vary. 

Which is why I'm not agreeing with the average of 835lbs(based on 5 specimens) for whole Kodiak bear population. 

And the 1346lbs individual is definitely not in the age group of 8-9. I bet it's not even in the 9-10 age group. It's definitely a 12+ year old individual, where males almost reach their maximum weight. So, you can't include that older and exceptional specimen into this to get a average.

If you get the average based on both charts 700lbs - 835lbs, you'll get 767.5lbs. I'm not sure, but the previous figure i gave for Kodiak bears (which is 800lbs) is greater than this..
1 user Likes Panther's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "King" of the bears - comparison between the Polar bear and the Brown bear - Panther - 12-14-2018, 06:55 PM