There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Who is the largest of the bears?
Polar Bear
Kodiak Bear
[Show Results]

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The "King" of the bears - comparison between the Polar bear and the Brown bear

Panther Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-14-2018, 08:16 AM by Rishi )

(12-14-2018, 01:09 AM)Shadow Wrote: Quote:

"So, they're older than 6+ individuals means 7+(or 8) individuals. Although, i don't really think a 8 year old male Brown bear is not adult. 

The calculation is alright, both based on 10 specimens. Believe me.

So, I really don't think 9 year old male Kodiak bears aren't gonna surpass 800lbs mark on average. But of course individuals vary, especially in Alaskan Brown bears where they can pack more fat throughout their lives..."

My last posting here was exactly about this part of your message. I disagree with you and I explained why in my posting. I leave it up to others to consider which one is giving more reasonable opinion and explanation here. I have nothing to change to my posting at this point, I wrote about my observations and gave reasoning.
You explained me by denying the sources calling them "old", "unreliable" or whatever possible for you to claim. 
And you in your last post here back up by nothing but...
"But when looking at all information, what I have seen I assume, that it is after all Kodiak bear most probably. I think like that because local officials even today say, that Kodiaks are biggest bears there and vast majority of known "monster sized" bears are Kodiaks. And there has to be reason why trophy hunters are so eager to get license to hunt especially at Kodiak islands."

Quote:I know this chart in your posting here and it has many problems as it is explained in that chart itself and there is warning to be cautious in making comparison based on that. Alone that should tell to anyone, that not making too big conclusions based on that. Still makers of that book write based on that, that bears on Alaskan peninsula are biggest :) I find that quite odd and it raises a lot of questions how credible that book is what comes to that claim, especially when there are other research giving so different results.
If I understand correctly, you're in your past reply talking about one chart and denying other chart. But there are two different charts and their studies. 

Also, not the book but the study I posted claimed Alaska peninsula brown bears are the biggest. I suggest you to read again. 
"especially when there are other research giving so different results."?
Please show me the other research?

Quote:Then again you say: "Also on other hand it seems the 9 year old Brown bear is reaching it's full size in summer according to this chart ..." Difficult to understand, that what on earth you are trying to say with that.

9 year old bear as a bear in any age is light in spring and after breeding time if sexually mature and then heavy in late autumn. 9-10 years old brown bear can be considered as fully grown even though it can continue up to 11 years and if I remember right even to 14 years old sometimes. But it is quite common agreement, that bear aged 9-10 years old can be considered as fully grown, even though they gain more weight after that too

That is actually not a reply for you. That is a reply for brotherbear claiming Brown bears get significantly larger even after the age 9. 
What I'm trying to say is they can grow but not "significantly" larger. And that based on individual.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "King" of the bears - comparison between the Polar bear and the Brown bear - Panther - 12-14-2018, 01:31 AM