There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elephants and Rhinos Interactions

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-26-2014, 09:15 AM by peter )

I remember a BBC-documentary on aggressive young male elephants attacking buffalo's and rhino's in a reserve in South Africa. Happened quite some years ago. The cause was no adult bulls in the reserve. This resulted in a lack of role models, angry young men and numerous dead animals. They tried to transfer an adult bull to the reserve, but it proved too difficult. In the end, it was decided that one of the rangers had to act as an older bull elephant (...). He, his collegue and their Landrover had some close encounters, but the effect was quite impressive.

The lesson is destruction of a system or a population has much more consequences than those seen at first sight. It's about the entire system and the social consequences.

Same with us. What do you think will happen when we remove everyone over, say, 40 from our society? Why is it angry young man get their chance in societies that have been largely destroyed?

I remember a study about rats. Colonies are destroyed every now and then. It was announced by the loss of gate-keepers, a sharp rise of infants killed and groups leaving before the fall.

Does that ring any bells? Let me see. Pom, pom, pom. Yes, I remember. In the western world, there are economies. They want to grow. When it doesn't happen and the ever present bubbles explode, governments have no option but to cut. They always target the most crucial parts first. Referring to education, law and order, public transport, health and defence too. This, of course, results in more inequality, poverty and more crime (there is a direct connection). We've able to prevent total collapses so far, but one day a collapse can't be prevented. It's part of the game. Seen it before? Pom, pom, pom. Yes. Rome.

I think we can learn from animals and biologists studying social systems for years. Packer and Rabinowitz for President, I propose. How get them there?
3 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
Elephants and Rhinos Interactions - sanjay - 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Large male elephant attacked female black rhino - peter - 09-26-2014, 08:49 AM