There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Need article or blog written by members for upcoming section of wildfact

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Well, I think most of you are busy for now.

So I planned to write sometime on blog.
I have written a very basic blog. I am posting the content here for now so that guys can review it and correct any mistake i did while writing this small blog.

=======================================================
 Topic heading will be - Top Big cats in wild.

Blog content will be -

Do you love nature? I love it, in fact nature is only place where I feel relax more than anywhere else. My passion is more for wild animals. Although I love carnivore animal more than anything but my special attention is always towards big cats. According to definition big cats are those felids who can roar.
There are 4 big cats, namely, Tiger (Panthera tigris), Lion(Panthera leo), Jaguar(Panthera onca) and Leopard(Panthera pardu) . Puma (Puma concolor) andCheetah(Acinonyx jubatus) are also big in size but not put in Big cats category because they cannot roar.

Tigers

[Picture]

Tigers are on an average is largest living cat today in the wild. According to an estimate nearly 3200 tiger are remaining in wild. Tigers have most number of sub-species, currently 6 are alive and 3 extinct in recent years. Living sub-species are Siberian (Amur) Tiger, Bengal Tiger, Indochinese tigers, Malayan tigers, Sumatran tigers and South China tiger. The 3 extinct sub-species are Bali tigers, Caspian tiger and Javan tiger.

Among these, it is believed that Amur tiger is largest while Sumatran is smallest, though if we include extinct subspecies the smallest was Bali tigers.

Tigers are excellent hunter and live as solitary life. Their main preys are deer, wild pigs, monkeys etc. While they have been also reported to attack and killing large animal like Guar, Wild Buffalo, Rhinos and even elephants.

Lions

[Picture]

Lions are king of animals, reason is, together they can hunt any animal on land. Lions, on an average, are little less than tigers in weight and size but they are social animals and live in family and groups. Their group is commonly known as Pride. Due to unity and mutual understanding when hunting together make them most deadly animal. There is debate regarding classification of lions are subspecies but the 2 popular sub-sepices living today are African Lion and Asiatic Lion (Found in India, Gir). It is also believed that 2 more sub-species they went to extinction are Barbary Lion and Atlas Lion. African Lion are little larger than Asiatic Lion and are more social.

When compare to tiger Lions have longer skull, heart and shoulder bumps. This make them look bigger from front than tigers.
Lion generally kill and eat anything, from mouse to elephant. Their main prey base is deer, zebra, wildebeest etc. However they have been filmed during killing of big animals like Giraffe, Hippos, Rhinos, Wild buffalo, and even elephant

Lions also kill other predators like hyena, leopard and wild dogs to reduce the competition for prey.

Jaguar

[Picture]
Jaguars are most elusive cat and less studied, it is the 3rd largest cat in the world after Tiger and Lion. They are found in Southern Arizona and New Mexico to Northern Argentina and Northeastern Brazil. They have stockier body, broad head and powerful jaw.

Like tiger jaguar also love water, but they are more habitual of it. They are also solitary animals and meet during mating time. Their jaw is most powerful among all cats, and usually kills its prey with one crushing bite to the skull. They closely resemble the leopard physically, although it is usually larger.

They can eat deer, peccary, monkeys, fish, frog or anything they can catch, They are also know to kill and eat Caiman (A crocodile sub species) and Anaconda, the heaviest snake .

Leopard

[Picture]

Leopard is the smallest of all big cats but Leopards live in a variety of habitats including forests, mountains, grassland and deserts. They are found throughout most of Africa and Asia from the Middle East to the Soviet Union, Korea, China, India, and Malaysia.

They are most active during night. They are also known to climb tree more frequently and comfortably compare to other animals. Even they can drag their kills heavier than themselves at top of tree, reason for this is to save the prey from lions and hyena.

Leopard eats everything which they can catch.

========================================
Please read the blog and give your feedback.

@peter, @GuateGojira , @Apollo , @tigerluver, @Pckts , @Vijay Rajan , @Roflcopters etc.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need article or blog written by members for upcoming section of wildfact - sanjay - 09-17-2014, 02:22 PM