There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - B - THE LION (Panthera leo)

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(11-14-2019, 03:31 AM)lionjaguar Wrote: Fabulous post. Do the same for lions in other Africa and Asia along with jaguars.

Sadly, there is very few informations from lions of other parts of Africa in both hunting and scientific records. I can quote these old images, which data has not changed at all.

From East Africa, male lions seems to average about 180 kg, although those from Loliondo region in Tanzania average about 155 kg, the heaviest been 180 kg (De Almeida, 1990); also those from the Crater has not been weighed or measured, but Dr Packer told me in personal communication that the largest chest girth recorded by him was of 143 cm, so they are truly large. The measurements in the image were taken "between pegs".

*This image is copyright of its original author

Lions from west Africa have even less information, been only measured and weighed by scientists, as far I know, and just one skull (that I manage to found, from J. H. Mazák) that is no larger than an average male from East Africa. This image contain the data of that population, togheter with the only reliable data about the Barbary lions, which seems to be of the same size than other African lions:

Please remember that the Barbary lion is scaled to its maximum size reliable recorded, also all specimens from "Barbary" in the list are captive specimens, even the skulls, although from wild origin (except the weight which probably was from a wild animal). All measurements were taken "along the curves".

About the Indian lions, you can see this image that include all the specimens measured "between pegs" in litterature:

About the weights and modern measurements "along the curves", published by Dr Jhala and his team in 2019, check this new furnished image:

This exaust all the information that I have from the lion - Panthera leo, using measurements and weights available in litterature, from realiable sources and excluding old "over curves" measurements. I have more data on skulls, by the way. No available mesaurements from middle East, just skulls and none of them surpass those from India.

About jaguars, I had many information that I sadly lost, but the table of Sunquist & Sunquist (2002) is still mandatory. About the largest and the smallest jaguar population I made this image some years ago:

I need to re-size the specimens, specially those from Central America, as in the image they look too "long".
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - B - THE LION (Panthera leo) - GuateGojira - 11-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Panthera leo in Europe - brotherbear - 04-28-2017, 07:16 PM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - Polar - 04-28-2017, 09:54 PM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - GrizzlyClaws - 04-29-2017, 01:13 AM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - brotherbear - 04-29-2017, 02:31 AM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - GrizzlyClaws - 04-29-2017, 02:47 AM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - GrizzlyClaws - 04-29-2017, 02:59 AM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - brotherbear - 05-20-2017, 03:45 PM
RE: Vintage - Ngala - 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Lion Population Numbers - jordi6927 - 04-09-2018, 03:15 PM
RE: Lion Population Numbers - Rishi - 04-09-2018, 04:43 PM