There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Tracking the Dark Jaguar

Back in 2017 Bichos de Brasília project, NEX, CENAP/ICMBio and IBAMA were on the Track Expedition in order to capture a Cerrado male jaguar who was roaming around on the top of the mountain areas of Cerrado. They set up around 10 loop traps in different areas in order to capture the cerrado male jaguar.

Brasília é o Bicho.

''Expedition Dark Jaguar.''

''On the first day of the expedition, at the top of the mountain, all hopes were renewed.

This incredible cerrado dark male jaguar appeared in the cameras to show that we are on the right path!''

''Leanes with his great experience on capturing jaguars prepares the loop on the dark jaguar trail.''

*This image is copyright of its original author

The beautiful mountainous areas of Cerrado.

''Dark jaguar at the top of the Maranhão River sawmills.''

The capture attempt even aired on TV here in Brazil and I just reminded about it as I saw this post and I was very curious then I got in contact with them and asked Brasília é o Bicho if they managed to capture that dark cerrado male jaguar and what his size was and here's what they told me.

''unfortunately not. There is the story of the report in which we made the attempt. We believe that he was between 85kg to 100kg.''

As we can see, he is estimated to be within the range of an average size of a Cerrado male 95 kg.

Anyways then I asked for direct private conversation and now I am in direct personal contact with one of the members of Brasília é o Bicho project.

I've told him my thought on Cerrado males being the second largest in Brazil, he said its very interesting and indeed the cerrado jaguars they see there are really big and that average size matches with the cerrado jaguars they usually see.

He also said that Leandro Silveira towards south has captured many cerrado jaguars as we already know.

Anyways I'll try to get some infos on the Cerrado jaguars from those areas on who's more dominant and more and maybe get new weights if he knows some as well as more details on Xangô cerrado male.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 09-21-2020, 03:46 AM