There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(07-30-2020, 05:50 AM)Balam Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 03:16 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: I was in contact with Fernando Tortado for those who don't know him he works on the field with Panthera org program who studies and monitor jaguars in Central Pantanal and North Pantanal.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I asked him who were the 3 largest jaguars captured by panthera until today bar Adriano cause I already know he weighed 130kg.

He said in 1st place a male captured by panthera org in 2008 named Lopez he weighed 148 kg and he died a few years ago ( same empty male we already know of but now at least we know his name )

In second and third place we got a draw, Adriano male and M02 male both 130 kg.

He also said only one male jaguar captured by Panthera in the area weighed bellow 100 kg. ( but I am not sure if that includes Central Pantanal males from Parque Nacional do Pantanal - Acurizal )

I mentioned and showed him about the 140 kg tank that got ran over by car in Miranda South Pantanal earlier this year.

He said he remembers of that case and acknowledges the dead jaguar to be massive.

I mentioned about cerrado jaguars being the second largest in Brazil.

He said both in Cerrado and Atlantic forest area of Parque Estadual de Ivinhemas there were captures of 100+ kg jaguars.

He also mentioned that in the Massive Brazilian Amazon on the southern section there are cases of big jaguars however what they know is that jaguars are small in central America and in the region of Mamirauá ( central ) in the Brazilian Amazon and a large male weights less than 80kg.

I told him that projeto Iauaretê stated mamirauá central amazonic jaguars averages 55 kg and the largest male captured there was Galego with 72 kg. I also mentioned about Caatinga jaguars being the smallest.

I also told him the case of Tiago cerrado male being predated and canibalized by another jaguar and I showed him the skull of Tiago and the adult Pantanal male skull who got skull bite in a fight in South Pantanal.

Lastly I asked about comparisons in size of the 3 Pantanal jaguars populations North/Central/South and since Panthera works over 2 of them Central/North I said the Central Pantanal jaguars from Parque Nacional do Pantanal - Acurizal being more of domestic Horse Eaters how they compare with the north pantanal jaguars whether one is larger than the other.

He said

''Throughout the whole Pantanal North/Central/South, jaguars have the same size pattern and In the South Pantanal jaguars weighing over 130 kg have already been captured .''

To wrap up I managed to make the same question to Peter Crawshaw who gave me the same answer but with more details.

Peter Crawshaw

''I do not think that we can characterize differences in size within the Pantanal basin, ( North/Central/South ) what appears are more individual differences in the availability of prey, which may be due to the season or even the presence of domestic animals in farms where they occur.''

I forgot to ask, do you know if you could get any information from Panthera regarding when the next captures for jaguars from northern Pantanal will take place? I would LOVE for males like Balam or Edno to be weighed. We already know that Oncafari will be performing captures in southern Pantanal this upcoming September, but having an idea of f and when we can expect captures from the north as well would be amazing.

@Balam

Fernando Tortato just told me that if there will be captures this year by Panthera it will be captures of Ocelots.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 08-05-2020, 12:01 AM