There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2020, 05:07 PM by Dark Jaguar )

@"OncaAtrox"

Very interesting information, that lack of abundant prey in some Caatinga areas explains more the reason Lampião male ( the 41kg adult melanistic one ) died by starvation, its such a shame and thats what leads jags to predate domestic dogs, pigs and bovines in that area.

And speaking of Caatinga I watched an interview with Leandro Silveira and he said when they studied jaguars there in Parque Nacional Serra da Capivara area in Caatinga 20% of the jaguar population there are melanistic.

Its really impressive having so many melanism in Parque Nacional Serra da Capivara, its the highest melanism density I've ever heard in a population of jaguars located in one area and Leandro said its out of normal the immense quantity of melanism there.

I think the only place that could top it would be the almighty Amazon which have by far the highest population of jaguars on the planet.

I wish I could get my hands on that study of IOP.

Parque Nacional Serra da Capivara is one place we all should keep our eyes on, I already follow their official page in a while.

Here are some Caatinga Jaguars from Parque Nacional Serra da Capivara.

Photos: Fundo para a Conservação da Onça-Pintada (FCOP)

Note: Their paw pads are very rough and flat due to the dry and thorny soils of Caatinga.

Male 1  ( adult )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Male 2 ( adult )

Female 1 ( adult )

Female 2 ( adult )

Male 3 ( adult )

Male 4 ( adult )

Female 3 ( sub adult )

Male 5 ( adult ) Impressive battled scarred specimen, he is probably 45kg of muscle.

Male 6 ( adult )

Female 4 ( adult )

Sub Adult Caatinga Jaguar ( No Gender Revealed )

Female 5 ( sub adult )

Cub.

As you can see there's a very high density of melanism in Parque Nacional Serra da Capivara and although these jaguars weight 35-42kg they yet keep their stocky build no matter the size and even more impressive is that Caatinga is the only place where Jaguars overlap in size with Pumas. Amazing.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 07-26-2020, 05:00 PM