There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 05:56 PM by Dark Jaguar )

@OncaAtrox

The studying on the power bite that I meant is on the large wild pantanal male jaguars which is the apex top of the species in the moment. only a detailed study from them we'll know how powerful their bite power truly is and not other smaller populations/captivity or whatever.

Yeah that theory makes sense but who knows their level of tolerance with each other has ended, I mean those meetings could've been pre-fighting as well and in my opinion the only thing to have more accurate info on this case regarding the participation of Rogério is seeing how his physical condition is RIGHT NOW. they could try to find him through the camera traps scattered over PNE because despite not having the jaws available on his asset I don't think it was an easy fight for whoever took him down wheter could be Rogério, Richard or the unknown male, Tiago was a massive cerrado beast ( I think there are other cerrado males out there monitored we aren't aware of ), so they gotta check the physical condition of the territorial cerrado male specially in that ranching area Tiago was found dead.  

With that being said I agree completely this new unknown male in the area could be the one as well.

The one thing I fear now is about Ariane's cubs, in case the mysterious male finds them it could be a mess and we all know infanticide happens with jaguars. I already posted about this along with what Crawshaw told me on this regard.

So Ariane's cubs might be in serious threat.

About Xavante there's infos bellow but I wanna you to watch a documentary about Lenda cerrado female.

@Richardrli

As far as I can tell he got nothing controversial, before starting to study on wild cats he went to New York talk to George Schaller to help him to start the study of jaguars however Schaller told him to go back to Brazil and talk to Peter Crawshaw ( The greatest scholar of jaguars in Brazil ). Thus Crawshaw provided Leandro his first internship which started his career on jaguars.

here's 2 posts of Leandro and Anah (his wife also biologist) with Schaller and other with Crawshaw on the field. and the descriptions by his words.

''26 years later.''

''Dr. George Schaller, my inspiration for studying the jaguar. In 1991 I approached Dr. Schaller in his New York office to help me start a study with the species. He referred me to Peter Crawshaw, who in turn gave me my first stage. Then it all started... - with Anah Tereza De Almeida Jácomo.''

*This image is copyright of its original author

''Historical photo... Puma captured in the swampland for radio-colar placement in 1994 - with Peter Crawshaw Jr., Anah Tereza De Almeida Jácomo and Leandro Silveira.''

*This image is copyright of its original author

IOP (Jaguar Conservation Fund) main focus is the conservation of mainly Jaguars and Maned Wolves but there's many other brazilian species too.

There will be a new IOP documentary just like the ones the made in the past in partnership with BBC and Animal Planet. One part of the new documentary I saw is from a post I dropped of IOP with a Maned Wolf, they just leaked that part as a teaser. I will post news of this documentary here whenever it gets released.

In case you're wondering what about the other documentaries they made there's one available on youtube but its in portuguese about a possible infanticide with the cubs of a female cerrado jaguar named Lenda ( legend ).

The other documentary I know is one about the reintroduction of Xavante and his sisters back in the wild.

Watch this lecture of Leandro ( WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES ) you'll learn a bit more about him and the relation of jaguars and humans and more.

@"OncaAtrox" since you understand portuguese you may enjoy this one. I wanna hear your thoughts ( I am gonna ask you later  Huh  ) on Lenda Cerrado female's life and the mysterious investigation case of a slaughtered cub as well as a poached old melanistic cerrado male, this documentary also shows how underrated and forgotten the cerrado biome is to the world compared to other biomes and many people don't even know cerrado jaguars exist much less they're the second largest jaguars population in Brazil. So one of my main goals here on this forum was to introduce this jaguar population as well as Caatinga ones too.

This BBC one ( IN ENGLISH ) but not the full documentary. its the reintroduction of Xavante and his sisters in cerrado wilderness.

CGTN America interview with Leandro ( IN ENGLISH )

Xavante live in the wild for a while but he approached human areas too much and IOP return him back to the sanctuary to avoid accidents which is a good thing and not wait the worst happen which could be too late, but he managed to take down adult tapir and pecaries so at least on the hunting side they were sucessfuly introduced.

The only thing I don't like about Leandro is that he doesn't provide the weights of cerrado jaguars on the IOP posts and publishes which freaks me out and I gotta struggle to find out the sizes on cerrado jags from other sources which is very hard.
4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 07-09-2020, 03:59 PM