There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 05:09 AM by Dark Jaguar )

@OncaAtrox good job on the post. I actually missed it haha and Holly sh** what just happend on that video.

I feel relieved he was not poached.

As explained there are areas on the skull that don't get fractured that easily and there's an area on the skull that would be crushed/perfurated if it was damaged by gun bullet but its not however there's one area they noticed on Tiago skull that could be done by other jaguar canines and with analyses with other jaguar skulls crushed by jaguars is much more likely.

The work on the investigation of Tiago's death is very professional.

I estimate Rogério to be 100kg, he is smaller than Richard as well. I also noticed Tiago had broken canines ever since he was captured before his death which is also stated on the video by Leandro and Felipe and with his age estimation of 8-9 makes sense. Seen through the GPS Tracks Its not new that Tiago was entering Rogério's territory quite often specially when Rogério left the area to meet Ariane female who is spending the last few months around the same small area due to her cubs (she also entered one IOP sanctuary area and killed 3-4 tapir calves about a week ago, some say she got in by jumping over wall) but as seen on his last tracks he met Rogério alot. In case of a direct combat between Tiago and Rogério I think although being larger Tiago's bad luck could be the broken canines he had which could've been decisive in favor of Rogério who is also much younger so I think Tiago's size wasn't enough to beat the younger male. However there's a new unknown cerrado male jaguar roaming around in the area who could possibly be the culprit of Tiago's death and given the fact Tiago weighed 117kg, This unknown male must be massive but obviously I am not gonna rule out Rogério male being the killer either.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Rogério Cerrado male.

Ariane female Rogério male return back to PNE after a long time.

April 2020

Ariane Cerrado female is finally back. and she's not alone.

Leandro Silveira -

''I just found out who visited IOP tonight, Rogério cerrado male and Ariane cerrado female. The two of them roamed all over here and Rogério male yet killed a wild peccary.''

VIDEO

There's also one thing I wanna mention is that the farmer told Leandro he hadn't seen this melanistic jaguar in the area he sees quite often the yellow ones, it could mean in that rancher area Tiago was killed wasn't his territory.

I also remember a few posts I made in the past on their tracks in cerrado that the melanistic female was often meeting with Tiago far away from Rogério's territory.

About the broken canines.

as @OncaAtrox already explained his canines were already broken and I am gonna add up to her comment in more details.

Felipe

''One of the things that was bad for Tiago was his broken canines''

Leandro

''This jaguar (Tiago) is interesting cause when we captured him, he already had broken canines he already had a very solidified injury here so it isn't something recent its old so he probably had consequences and suffered a bit in order to hunt and it was not efficient enough and in a moment of a fight like this he lost the battle, and one more thing its missing one canine here (photo bellow) which we couldn't find at time there and there were people asking me ''why there wasn't any canines? did someone steal it'' No it is because it was lost there and the teeth were broken.''

About the late collar signal.

Leandro

''And one more thing many people asked and makes sense and I already said is that the collar sends mortality signal whithin 24h standstill and we first thought he was eating something and the collar didn't activate mortality then we received and when we arrived on the carcass the carcass was evidently dead in more than 15 days with advanced decomposition state. But people keep wondering how if its in 24h... its because the sensor it has to be 24h with no movements at all so anything that goes there it could be a Vulture, Maned wolf, Bush Dog,Little Wolf or anything who touches the collar it receipts and restart to count again so everything that moves around in this period will turn back from zero so it kept extending for us to receive the mortality signal signal so that is the reason of the carcass get so old so it wasn't because we didn't have time to go or we didn't want to check this information it was because we didn't receive the mortality signal and when we received it we went there''

Jaguar's bite force is really scary, they should definitely study in details large adult pantanal male jaguars bite strength, I am sure it will surprise the world.

Tiago missing his flesh within 24h most likely cannibalized is even scarier and not to mention his completely broken canine, these jaws of jaguars can be a mess, I already knew about territorial jaguar fights leading to deaths via skull/nape bites but cannibalism...

As they said on the video and already included on @OncaAtrox post jaguars do as much as they can to avoid each other and to let their rivals know they're around via urine,scats,roaring,vocalization,tree marking but on a death encounter situation they will really show their absolute brutal prowess and the results are scary.

The least studied of the big cats can't stop surprising me.

About the skulls

The skull of the adult Pantanal male jaguar who was killed via skull/nape bite on a jaguar fight was provided for Leandro by Lucas from Fazenda Barranco Alto farm - Southern Pantanal. He found the skull and when he removed all the flesh off it and washed it off he noticed the holes done by its killer's canines.

Now we can finally see the skull comparison between a Pantanal adult male jaguar and a Cerrado adult male Jaguar.

LEFT: Adult Pantanal male jaguar skull - RIGHT: Adult Cerrado male jaguar skull.

I am very impressed by the skull bite damages on the jag skulls. Jaguars are savage cats, I can't even imagine the bite power of this animal in Pantanal, Those massive jaw muscles do justice.

I can't wait to find out who the mysterious unknown cerrado male jaguar is and how large he is, this is definitely gonna change the dynamics of cerrado jaguars in PNE.

I am gonna talk to Crawshaw about this too.
4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 07-09-2020, 05:02 AM