There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2020, 03:01 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Posted by : adamonçafari on 12/05/2013     

The Ghost sighting in the darkness

Fantasma (ghost in portuguese) Male Jaguar Crossing Bridge.

Written and photographed by Adam Bannister

Southern Pantanal.

A night with a ''Ghost''.

This had been something I had dreamed of ever since arriving at Caiman Ecological Refuge. Every morning we go out to look for jaguars. There is a bridge, called Paizinho (Little Father) that is a good starting point to look for tracks. A nearby Camera Trap tells us that jaguars frequent the area, but seldom do we get to actually see them as they use the man made bridge to cross the water. Every guest who comes here will pass over this bridge a number of times during his or her stay. The bridge is iconic of Caiman Ecological Refuge as it marks the entrance to the main access road to the lodge.

The other night I was out with the Projeto Onçafari team when we got the jaguar sighting of a lifetime. Fantasma, the big male jaguar of the area, was on patrol. He was calling, scent marking and walking fast. At this stage he was still a kilometer away from the bridge, but his direction was perfect. We took the gamble and left him, racing forward to get to the bridge. High risk, high reward is a motto of mine.

We got to the bridge, got our car into position, and checked our camera settings. We were ready. Now we just needed the big boy to cooperate. My heart was pounding as the minutes ticked by.

Silence.

Darkness.

All of a sudden in the distance I could hear his heavy breath and his pads hitting the dry earth. I turned the spotlight on and looked up the road.

Eyes!

I could not believe that he was coming. I could not believe we were in the perfect position and this was actually going to happen.

The Ghost appeared out of the Darkness and walked across the bridge.

*This image is copyright of its original author

After 6 months I finally managed to get the shot of a jaguar walking across the iconic bridge of Caiman. And not just a jaguar, it was THE jaguar, possibly one of the biggest in the Pantanal. This series of photos will aid me in reliving those few seconds for the rest of my life. 

Fantasma (ghost) seen by Londolozi when they were in Brazil in 2012.

''A large male jaguar is sighted at the Caiman Ecological Refuge in the Pantanal, Brazil. Filmed by James Crookes.''

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports - Dark Jaguar - 05-10-2020, 02:52 AM