There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baleen whales (Mysticeti)

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 02:16 PM by Shadow )

(08-27-2020, 08:41 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote: @peter Thanks for that. Frankly, I am not intending that this thread should generate into a debate into what exactly happens between baleens and orcas (if anyone wishes to create a separate thread for that, then I don't oppose it), so I hope that @Shadow @GuateGojira and I can agree on this (without the need for a merger of topics):

Orcas prey on calves of baleen whales, and occasionally even adult baleens, but adult humpbacks have been seen fight against or chase orcas, either to protect their calves, or even to defend other creatures, which has led scientists to research what they call their "altruistic behaviour": https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/...explained/https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n...180964545/

It´s good, that you understand the point partially. Still to make this as clear as possible. Problem hasn´t been some articles which you have shared. Problem isn´t either in it, that showing how animals confront each others. What has been reason for my criticism have been some claims and conclusions, which you have stated in ways, which don´t seem to make any sense. Like using the word domination in situation, in which no-one else, with whom I´ve discussed, haven´t been able to see. And then using comparisons which don´t seem to have any relevant connections with each others and again making no sense.

Yes, prey animals can fight predators, they do usually everything what they can to protect their offspring. It´s what can be seen everywhere in nature. There are times, when herd of moose is able to make wolves go away, bears don´t succeed every time they hunt moose, tigers can let sloth bears be after some brawl even though their original plan might have been to kill and eat and so on. So can we say, that moose dominates wolves or bears, or that sloth bears dominate tigers just because every hunt isn´t a success? And sometimes a lone moose can charge wolves or a bear and make predator to back off just like sloth bears can make a tiger to back off. Domination there? If so, then I can understand claim, that humpback whales dominate orcas. Same time I personally don´t see any justification to claim, that moose would dominate wolves or bears and sloth bears for sure aren´t dominating tigers if asked how I see it.

I think, that vast majority of people don´t understand those situations above as examples of domination. And that is why I see some of your claims odd and not valid. 

What you have shared in your links is quite common knowledge for people who are interested about whales and nice articles to read for people who have started to search information. But when you put there such claims as you have done, then sooner or later moderators have to say something. Reason is, that we prefer to see in wildfact things, which are backed up in reasonable way. Especially when some claim looks to be something what no-one else is suggesting anywhere.

I can´t put here a claim and say "cape buffalos dominate lions" and then put some random link of one failed hunt in which lions back off. Reason is, that there are countless hunts in which lions kill cape buffalo after cape buffalo in different kind of situations. Sometimes in the middle of big heard of buffalos, sometimes some loner gets caught.

So you also can´t say, that humpback whales dominate orcas and then put some random case or a few cases in which orcas fail. Because there are countless hunts in which orcas success.

When you want to make strong claims, then you have to do better with reasoning too. Otherwise your posting doesn´t reach the standard we are seeking here. The stronger and more unusual claim, the more there will be criticism. When someone shares a photo or some "nonchalant" posting, it´s a different thing. But if anyone wants to claim, that he/she has noticed something, what no-one else haven´t, then it´s better to be prepared. 

This was a bit longer posting than I thought to write, but I hope that no need to write again about this.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - BorneanTiger - 12-05-2019, 05:56 PM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - Sully - 03-29-2020, 12:34 AM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - Sully - 07-27-2020, 10:29 PM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - Pckts - 07-28-2020, 10:11 PM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - scilover - 08-05-2020, 04:28 PM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - Shadow - 08-23-2020, 12:02 AM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - Shadow - 08-24-2020, 03:34 PM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - Shadow - 08-25-2020, 03:13 AM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - Shadow - 08-26-2020, 02:01 AM
RE: Baleen whales (Mysticeti) - peter - 08-26-2020, 06:53 PM