There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why captive Bengals are smaller than Wild Bengals?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-17-2019, 08:09 PM)Hello Wrote: Hi @Pckts , how big are Kanha tigers compared to captive N American and white Bengals.What are the names of those Kanha tigers 
Larger in every way, the largest female cat of any species I've ever seen was the Link 8 female of Kanha, she came out of the road right in front of us and I thought she was a male, she's tall, long and has a massive body. I'd feel fairly comfortable saying she's 170kgs, no problem. 
I've seen 500lb Lioness and huge Tigress I captivity but neither came close to her body dimensions or her muscle definition and mass. To put it bluntly, the 500lb Lioness are fat, if they had her body dimensions and still were as overweight as they were, they'd probably be 600lbs. 
The Sangam male is a tank, and I saw him in the peak summer months so I cant imagine what he'd look like in the winter but even so, he was by far the most muscle packed, robust Wild cat I've seen. He's probably not as tall as the tallest wild lions I've seen but he was more robust for sure. He's also very long, most tigers are longer than you realize, if I were to compare him to the largest captive tigers I've seen, there's only 1 who could possibly be as tall at the shoulder as him and that was a white tiger I saw at the Mirage but none come close to his muscle mass/density. Some again can be very robust but still not more than he was and on top of that they dont have the muscle definition to go along with their robustness, they look overfed and under worked. 

A 250kg wild Tiger compared to a 250kg Captive one would be to compare apples and oranges from what I've seen.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why captive Bengals are smaller than Wild Bengals? - Pckts - 11-17-2019, 10:08 PM