There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Spotting Wildlife at Tadoba
Jyoti Rane,  | 03 January 2014

*This image is copyright of its original author

Tadoba Wildlife Sanctuary, also known as TATR – Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, is situated in Chandrapur district, Vidarbha region in Maharashtra. Located approximately 85 kms from Nagpur and 45 kms from Chandrapur, Tadoba Andhari gets its name from the Tadoba Temple near the Tadoba Lake and the Andhari River that winds through the forest. Monsoon floods the forest with ample water and the post monsoon due to the green cover, spotting wildlife is not an easy task but is nonetheless promising.
In contrast to my last trip to Tadoba in September 2012, the summer display in 2013 was way better. While I spotted the least seen cat- Leopard and a Tiger family in monsoon, the summer forest was very rewarding with spotting of more than 10 tigers, some Sloth Bears, Sambhar Deer, Dholes and Indian Gaurs.
Leaving behind the scorching heat of Mumbai was no comfort, as Nagpur was teeming under a temperature of 43 degree Celsius. I reached in the late hours of night and a sloth bear made itself very comfortable on the roadside. The fun was just starting. The forest was stark contrast to the monsoon stage. The landscapes were hues of yellow and the temperature baked me beyond imagination, but the tiger thirst kept me on. I entered a world, a world of wild.

TATR is a very well maintained forest. Tadoba was declared a tiger reserve in 1995 and the forest covers an area of 625 sq. kms. Primary vegetation includes bamboo thickets, teak, mahua, ain, jamun and tendu trees. The mammal population here includes Tigers, Sloth Bear, Leopard, Indian Wild Gaur, Wild Dog (Dhole), Sambhar Deers, Jackal, Mongoose, Hyena, Spotted Deer, Barking Deer and Four Horned Antelope.
Tadoba forest is majorly divided in three ranges – Tadoba Region, Moharli region and Kolsa region. Tadoba is a grassland area, Moharli range has thick forest and Kolsa region is hilly area. The park can be accessed from all the three ranges. The Tadoba region has a big lake, the Tadoba Lake, which offers perennial supply of water. Crocodiles can often be spotted basking along the banks of the lake.

My last trip to Tadoba got me acquainted to Circuit, Yeda Anna and family. They are not characters from a Bollywood movie, but tigers named by the locals. Yeda Anna was marked by a crooked tail and Circuit, the vehicle lover cub comes right near your vehicle. This time around the alpha male Shivaji crossed our paths frequently. The locals have many stories to narrate of tigers that ruled the area, created havoc and are yet remembered for their notorious deeds.
The hot barren setting offer good spotting of tigers. In summers as the temperature rise, the water sources dry out and the wild animals move out in search of water. The water holes scattered across the forest are the best source to spot wildlife. Personal vehicles are allowed in the forest but on prior permission and nominal fees. A forest guard or guide is compulsory accompanied with every vehicle. Tadoba Sanctuary can be accessed only with prior permission and bookings can be done via the Deputy Conservator of forest and wildlife at Chandrapur. Stay options are limited; hence booking in advance is recommended during peak season.
2 users Like Sully's post

Messages In This Thread
ST2 tigress of sariska - Rage2277 - 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Backwater male march 2014 - Rage2277 - 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
big male from nepal - Rage2277 - 04-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Backwater male may 014 - Rage2277 - 05-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Mahaman subadult may 2014 - Rage2277 - 05-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Lyla T41 may 2014 - Rage2277 - 05-25-2014, 05:39 PM
RE: B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India - Sully - 04-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Big Kaziranga Tiger - sanjay - 04-05-2014, 10:02 PM
RE: Big Kaziranga Tiger - Apollo - 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM
RE: Big Kaziranga Tiger - Apollo - 04-13-2014, 10:00 PM