There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

Greatearth Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 03-18-2017, 05:41 AM by Greatearth )

@Betty 
So do you think South china tiger(t. amoyensis) would go extinct? I am worry about Asiatic cheetah more than South china tiger. I heard there's only 1 female Asiatic cheetah left in wild last year.

I don't know how many first generations of the South china tigers were in zoo. The Siberian tiger(t. altaica), the Asiatic lion, today's cheetah also suffered from horrible inbreeding, but they are actually doing ok (Population). Cheetah survived from the extinction long before the human civilization.
I heard that there is NO pure South china tiger anymore. All of the South china tiger has the Indochinese tiger's genes. (But I think this was already happened long before when tiger subspeices could move to other subspecies range map during early 1900s) 
I've been asked to my professor about how to increase gene pool when population suffered from horrible bottleneck. I think it's extremely difficult to increase gene pool of the mammals from our current knowledge of genetic and bio-technique these days.

I've studied advanced genetic courses.. My professor told me that today's Native Americans were came from the 70s individuals crossing Beringia several ten thousand years ago after studying their genome. They probably faced with huge inbreeding, but Native Americans already spread entire North and South Americas before 1500. I guess big cats and other endangered animals could survive too. Unless the population was under 5.

I am pretty sure South china tiger could survive if they released in wild If there is no human distraction. I feed street cats sometimes (some of them were kept in school since they were babies). They are used to me and they always beg to me for food. But they know how to catch smaller birds and squirrels by itself. They've never learned how to catch animals from their mom (since it was rasied by human when they were young). But they know how to survive (All of you guys know that house cat is a pest since they are destroying the native wildlife in island and wiping out the smaller animals). So how about the tigers? I guess their behavior might be different from past. But I am pretty sure tigers could survive. The problem is that tiger is a large predator. They need a large space and require the plenty food. They can get easily influenced by small human activities. 

What I heard from my international student friends from China and India.. India and China has a huge human population. So you can find bunch of ignorant, rude, and uneducated people (like ghettos) in those 2 countries. Because there are many poor people in India and China and many poor people can't receive standard education. Obviously, these people are usually becoming the poachers and involving in black markets. 
Difference between those 2 countries are Indian generally don't hurt animals like Chinese because of their Hindu religion. That's why tiger and other endangered animals could survive in India. Chinese traditional medicine also increased the problems along with development and war. Many of South east asian countries like Vietnam influenced on Chinese culture since several thousands years ago. So they also using the traditional medicine just like Chinese. 
I don't know this is true, but I heard something like Mao hated tigers. Because he could have been killed by tiger when he was a young. 
The same for Bhutan, Bhutan generally never hurt their animal since it is deep buddhist country. That's why I like Buddhism and Hindu religions more than barbaric Christianity and Islam religions who used to fighitng and killing other people and animals all the time since from the past. And there is human no birth contorl in Christianity and Islam. Like how many conservative Christians are against with global warming, evolution, and science. Many Christianity American and Western European Christians are going to Africa for trophy hunting and they think human is superior than animals because human was created by god's image.

Western countries like Europe (Western European) and North America were the highest consuming of ivory and fur until 1970s. They've devastated the nature first. Now, Asia and Africa are finishing it. Mostly, the China. Actually, the Vietnam is worse as the China. So does Tawian and other South east Asian countries. But media is just keep pointing on China since China is controlling the economy. Seems like China is changing. Still, I think China don't really care about other animals much as panda bear. (I am pretty sure they care about their South china tiger, but not as panda). The problem is that panda costs MORE money to preserve than any other animals. Xi Jinping gave 2 Panda bears to Korea in 2014, but it costs like 10 billion dollars to taking care those 2 Panda bear s. It's like wasting the money. I hope China cares about the other animals like rhino, elephant, and big cats just like the panda. The same for other Asian, African, Central and South American countries.
8 users Like Greatearth's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 03-18-2017, 04:17 AM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM