There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-24-2021, 07:15 AM by peter )

ALL

This post, the first of a series of 3 (see post 2,519 and post 2,520), was moved from the thread 'Amur tigers' to this thread. The main reason is the discussion in the Amur tiger thread was interrupted by a member who was banned shortly after. The tiger extinction thread is well moderated. Furthermore, not every member can post in the extinction section. Another reason to move the post is the topic discussed is of interest. Explanation. 

Most authorities on Amur tigers (Panthera tigris altaica) and Ussuri brown bears (Ursus arctos lasiotus) agree adult male brown bears are out of the predatory reach of male Amur tigers. However. 

In two recent interviews (both articles will be posted), an undisputed authority on Amur tigers and Ussuri brown bears (A. Batalov) said he found the remains of a 'very large' brown bear killed and eaten by a male tiger in the fall of 2017. Batalov is sure the bear was 'Chlamid'. He's also sure he was killed by 'Ochkarik', a tiger he knows well. 

Brown bear 'Chlamid', to freshen your memory, was the bear following and robbing tigress 'Rachel' ('Rachelle') for quite some time in 2017. When she had had enough, 'Rachel' was heard complaining about the bear. A few days later, the father of her cubs, tiger 'Ochkarik', responded. Both were seen in a video that was posted in this thread. Not long after the visit of 'Ochkarik', the big brown bear disappeared. He was never seen again. At least, that's what most think. But Batalov said the bear was very smart and our mod 'Shadow', who apparently contacted Batalov, said 'Chlamid' was seen a year later. 

So what really happened in the fall of 2017?  

In order to find out more, I contacted our member 'Nyers' (see the continuation below the photographs). He's interested in interactions between tigers and bears in the Russian Far East. Furthermore, as a Russian, he's able to avoid problems often seen in articles translated from Russian.

To finish this introduction, two photographs (camera trap). This is tigress 'Rachel':

*This image is copyright of its original author

And this is brown bear 'Chlamid' following 'Rachel' not much later. 

A clear case of stalking, one would think. The bear denied all charges, but it doesn't look good: 

*This image is copyright of its original author

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    
NYERS 

Thanks for the info on tigress 'Sanda'. These rehabilitation facilities (I think there are 2, correct?) are a big succes. As far as I know, only 1 'rehabilitated' tiger had to be captured again. This was not a result of his behaviour, but of an injury. All other, often orphaned, tigers graduated in rehab and were released into the wild. As far as I know, they're doing well.  

Another question. 

Some time ago, in the tiger extinction thread, one of our previous mods posted information about a tigress with cubs followed and robbed by a very large male brown bear known as 'Chlamid'. After some months, rangers and biologists heard tigress 'Rachel' complaining about the bear in the taiga. The father of the cubs, tiger 'Ochkarik', didn't take long to respond. Not long after they met, the big brown bear vanished. As far as I know, he wasn't shot or captured by biologists. After the discussion had been concluded (for lack of information), it was all quiet on the eastern front. 

Some months ago, however, I was contacted by posters. They told me about a discussion about tiger 'Ochkarik' and brown bear 'Chlamid' at Carnivora. The debate was about an observation of Batalov, who said tiger 'Ochkarik' had killed and eaten a very large brown bear some years ago. This happened in the period 'Chlamid' suddenly disappeared without a trace right after tigress 'Rachel' met with 'Ochkarik'. Some posters, for this reason, concluded 'Chlamid' had been killed and eaten by 'Ochkarik'. After I was informed, those who contacted me asked me to offer an opinion. 

What I read, suggests Batalov knows a lot about tiger 'Ochkarik' in particular. I do not doubt Batalov's conclusion about the 'very large' bear killed by 'Ochkarik', but was unable to find a direct link between him and 'Chlamid'. Batalov didn't say he was killed by 'Ochkarik'. He said 'Ochkarik' had killed and eaten a very large bear. This happened in the period 'Chlamid' disappeared.   

Batalov, who weighed quite a few bears, thinks 'Ochkarik' ranges between 160-180 kg. After eating the bear he was considerably heavier, but in good shape 'Ochkarik' is not a large tiger. If he, as Batalov stated, is capable of killing a male brown bear at least twice his weight, it would turn all theories about tigers and bears in the Russian Far East upside down.  

What I read suggests Amur tigers hunt brown bears up to their own size, possibly a bit heavier. There are different reports about 'large' male brown bears killed by male Amur tigers in the period 1943-1959. There's also the young adult male brown bear killed in the Sichote-Alin Biosphere Reserve not too long ago. In a few recent articles I read, it was stated that male tigers hunt 'adult' brown bears. There's, on the other hand, also reliable information about young adult male tigers killed by large male bears.  

Some years ago, Linda Kerley said just about anything is possible between tigers and bears. What is known, strongly suggests she could be quite close. Perhaps closer than those who got to a firm opinion. I also noticed biologists, albeit to a degree, changed their opinion on tigers and bears in the last decade.  

Returning to Batalov, tiger 'Ochkarik' and bear 'Chlamid'. My first question is if Batalov, in your opinion, suggested 'Chlamid' was killed by 'Ochkarik'? If not (second question), could it, time- and locationwise, have been possible the 'very large' bear killed by 'Ochkarik' was 'Chlamid'? Is there another explanation that could fit? Was Batalov's observation (third question) discussed on Russian forums? Did you (last question) get to an opinion on Batalov's observation, tiger 'Ochkarik' and bear 'Chlamid'?   

Thanks in advance on behalf of all interested in tigers and bears in the Russian Far East.
4 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM