There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Personal Opinion & Speculations

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-10-2018, 08:33 AM by Rishi )

(07-30-2017, 02:58 PM)sanjay Wrote: 1. Tiger living in Africa's plain land along with Cheetah, Leopard, Spotted hyena, Wild dogs and their main competitor Pride of Lions. If we ignore scientific constraint in this assumption then what is your thought on this. Following Questions arises

*This image is copyright of its original author

a) How do will tiger do against group of lions. Is their any chance of surviving solitary tiger just like leopard? We know that tiger can not run faster than lions, we know they can not climb up tree, we know that the tiger has no chance of surviving against gang of lions if caught alone.

b) If some how they able to survive, what tactics they will adopt?

c) What animal they hunt most out of the available prey in African plains ? Will they compete for same food as the lion ?

d) How they will do against their other competitor like spotted hyena clan?

(Notwithstanding individual to individual behavioural variations.)

1. Although i've read that tigers, originated in snowy areas won't survive the open savanna unless drastic adaptations take place...

a & b. A tiger would behave EXACTLY like a lone lion does in similar conditions...(I'm not indulging into the cases of limited aggression & avoidance, as i think there isn't much to discuss on that topic)

Dominant male tiger against lionesses & young-adults would behave like this lion does:

Against similar-sized interspecific opponents (i personally find lion & tiger 1-on-1 bouts to be exactly same styled, except tigers don't do that running around):

Coalition of male lions against sub-adult tiger would have similar outcome:

Male coalition of lions against larger dominant male tiger:

Male tiger against whole lion pride would behave like lone challenger or enemy dominant male lion does:

c. This is where tigers will be thoroughly outcompeted in Ngorongoro-like fully open plains.
Unless they gang-up, like John Varty's tigers are said to do, they could have a hard time.They are larger than leopards.

d. Buffalos & hyenas are going to be the only other threat.

I expect the relationship to be, again, similar to what happens with lone lions.
2. I'm not going into unnecessary speculations on this while we're about to find out in a few years. (Have gather ome more info on lion-tiger coexistance & will post it shortly on the Asian lion reintroduction page).
4 users Like Rishi's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: If lion and tiger share same place what would be their surviving strategy? - Rishi - 07-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 03:15 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Spalea - 01-26-2019, 03:49 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 04:15 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Spalea - 01-26-2019, 06:21 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 06:32 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - brotherbear - 01-26-2019, 05:23 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Pantherinae - 01-26-2019, 05:46 PM
RE: Unpopular opinions? - Sully - 02-02-2020, 06:03 AM