There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Do you support lion translocation from Gir to Kuno Palpur?
Absolutely!
No.
On the fence...
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 02-04-2015, 10:05 AM by GuateGojira )

(02-01-2015, 08:44 PM)'teresek' Wrote: First of all, i want to say that i don't believe Greece is the best candidate in the world for the reintroduction of the asiatic lion.
I just said is a better option than Turkey and Iran. Makes sense if you think that countries with stoning as punishment today will care and protect better wild animals!

In summary i consider that the reintroduction of asiatic lion could be possible in Greece. 
Now I will not debate with you and surely i won't spend a few hours of my life to prove you my previous statement. It's pointless because i don't gain anything except that i have right in the end. Things change if you're a billionaire and you're reading this [Image: biggrin.gif]

From your point of view there is no country on planet earth that meets the standards for the relocation of the asiatic lion. 

Definitely, you don't even understand what I tried to say to you.

This is not about who is right and who is wrong, is about evidence. You said that in Greece existed great parks and that in a particular place there were 10,000 buffaloes that could be prey for lions. The problem is that you misinterpreted this evidence, as the "parks" of Greece are not suited for great cats and the actually c.4,000 buffaloes are domestic, not even feral, so they CAN'T be prey for lions, that will be a huge problem and will create another human-lion conflict.

About the billionaire issue, I don't get the point of it. Are you billionaire??? Are you going to "invest" in the introduction of lions in Greece???

Finally, NO ONE is saying that there are no countries with suitable places to reintroduce lions. I only said that Greece is a bad place, that is all. Is you who are saying that Iran or Turkey are bad places, without knowing the situation in those areas.

Morocco is a good place for lion reintroduction, also Iran and of course, other areas in India. The point of this is that the lion get extinct from this places a "few" years ago. Barbary lions disappeared from the north of Africa in the early 90's and from Middle east between 1940 to 1960, as far I remember, so in Biological terms, the time is pretty short, but lions disappeared from Greece since the times of Christ. However, even in the places that I have mentioned, it will take time before any great cat could be released. I have already mentioned what is needed to make such a study, so I am not going to repeat the same thing again.

Hope you could use Science, evidence and logic, instead of the liver and the misguided patriotism.

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project - GuateGojira - 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM