There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Do you support lion translocation from Gir to Kuno Palpur?
Absolutely!
No.
On the fence...
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-03-2015, 11:03 PM by Pckts )

(02-01-2015, 08:43 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote:
(01-31-2015, 11:58 PM)'Pckts' Wrote: I agree that greece is not fit for a Lion reintroduction program.
I am not sure what you mean with the Wolves in Yellowstone refference, but woves have absolutely become extremely successful there and infact, they have helped subside the ever growing elk population that became to much and started eating way many plants that used to grow frequent. I posted the story on another thread here.

What I mean with the wolves in Yellowstone is not about the wolves it selves, but about the people. The people protested against the release of wolves, they even tried to stop the releases with boycots, because they said that the wolves will attack they animals, living in the vicinities, that is what I tried to say. Wolves has been very successful in that area, alhtough the only problems has been for pumas, which are now under preasure of wolves and they normally steal they kills.

In november of 2013, an article of Douglas Chadwick in National Geographic Magazine stated that the behaviour of the cougars is changing in those areas where wolves has been reintroduced and they seems to be more "social" in order to protect they kills and they cubs. However, he also accept the fact the maybe, the "new" behaviour could be in fact, the real behaviour previous to the extermination of the wolves in so many parts of the USA. It is an interesting article, if you can found it, read it. I can scan the pages, but they are in Spanish.

"The people" were actually the wool farmers. Because the wolves would attack their sheep, but that is non sense. Wolves belong there and have stimulated the economy and over all health of the forest. Its like a smaller version of corporate non sense. The minute you affect somebodies monetary gain, it makes that thing "BAD". Which is absurd.

The Puma #s are actually stable and have not really shifted one way or another, and while some areas have seen the occasional puma predation by wolves other areas have seen wolves being preyed upon by puma. Depends on the tree cover which is a means for escape for the puma. But both of these animals have coexisted for ever, they will always find ways to survive together.

I would like to read that article if you ever find time. I great doc to watch is with Bone smith which was done a year or two ago.

Here is the doc title
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wi...y-2075004/

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project - Pckts - 02-03-2015, 11:02 PM