There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Do you support lion translocation from Gir to Kuno Palpur?
Absolutely!
No.
On the fence...
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2018, 01:17 PM by Rishi )

(01-29-2017, 11:04 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(01-21-2017, 10:11 AM)Bronco Wrote: No matter what you do this entire Asiatic lion reintroduction thing is just beating a dead horse.

I suggest the only option left is Government of Madhya Pradesh to send special forces under cover with secret mission to catch and still night time a dozen of Gir lions from those idiots and bring them in MP.... I am not sure is this a joke or not... Actually such kind of secret mission probably will not violate federal laws, the government of Gujarat is the one violating federal laws by not following the verdict of Indian Supreme Court.

lol, yes that's what i too sometimes think. lol.

(01-30-2017, 08:59 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(01-29-2017, 09:18 PM)Rishi Wrote: Although old news, this seems to be the best option right now..

Lions not in, Madhya Pradesh moves to populate Kuno with tigers
BHOPAL Updated: Feb 25, 2016 19:02 IST

*This image is copyright of its original author

Neeraj Santoshi 
Hindustan Times

Javadekar said the entire programme of translocating Gir lions to MP will take 25 years to complete.(File photo)

The Madhya Pradesh government is considering introducing tigers in the Kuno-Palpur wildlife sanctuary instead of waiting for the Gujarat government to translocate lions, says a note on the website of the state forest department.
The note in the sub-link titled “Special Conservation Initiatives” said: “If the stalemate is not resolved expeditiously, the state (government) may have to consider introducing tigers in the sanctuary as wasting such a prime a habitat is not in the interest of conservation of wildlife in the state…”.
“The government of Madhya Pradesh is very keen to have the lions at the earliest as the state has done everything expected from it, including the relocation of 1,545 poor families, to help conserve this national heritage…”, the note said.
In December last year, the union ministry of forest and environment cleared its stand on the state’s demand to translocate lions from the Gir National Park in Gujarat to the Kuno-Palpur Wildlife Sanctuary.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, Union forest and environment minister Prakash Javadekar said translocation of lions from Gujarat to Madhya Pradesh was a “long-term action” and will take more than 25 years.
The note points out that though the state government has asked the Centre to transfer a pride of lions from Gujarat at the earliest, “the government of Gujarat is somehow not inclined to provide the animals for starting the lion population in Kuno and the Centre is now seriously considering the option of using zoo bred animals of certified Asiatic lineage to start the new lion population…”
Narendra Kumar, principal chief conservator of forests, said the suggestion to introduce tigers in Kuno-Palpur came from the National Tiger Conservation Authority after a team visited the sanctuary to study prey base.
On the Centre’s argument that the re-introduction project will take 25 years, Kumar said: “We can’t wait for such a long time. The habitat has been readied for a carnivore and we will have to do something there. However, the government is yet to discuss about the NTCA suggestion.”

The purpose of lion translocation was to create independent populations & that can be served without taking them out of the state..for the time being.

The state of Gujrat has multiple sites like Kutchh, forests of Aravalli foothills & Narmada Basin, Wastelands West of Bhuj etc. that can (probably did) house lions & should be favoured over far-off/ controversial Kuno.

"The Madhya Pradesh government is considering introducing tigers in the Kuno-Palpur wildlife sanctuary instead of waiting for the Gujarat government to translocate lions"
- that would be a grave mistake and fulfilment of  all dreams of Gujaratis, that's what they exactly want and wish to happen.

“The government of Madhya Pradesh has done everything expected from it, including the relocation of 1,545 poor families, to help conserve this national heritage…”
- 1545 families probably mean around 10 to 15 thousand people whish is a huge effort. For comparison government of Gujarat is incapable to
relocate even a 2500 people from Gir forest... They talk about "success and merit in lion conservation" but their "success" is based only to the fact that lions and their derivates thanks of God are not used in Chinese medicine and Chinese pharmacy and as a result poaching pressure on lion is insignificant with comparison to tiger poaching.

I have to confess that despite of my great love to India and her great people I start to fill some form of "Gujarato-phobia" and probably same is happening with many lion lovers through the world.

Me too already started developed "goojarato-phobia" but once used to admire. lol. watch amitabh bachchan ads and commercials about gujarat tourism. you will be flattened.

(12-07-2017, 08:31 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:21 AM)epaiva Wrote: Kuno would be the only part in the world where you can find Lions and Tigers.

Absolutely. Kuno potentially could become the most interesting wildlife place in the planet, it could even overshadow Serengeti and Yellowstown. If Indians are enough wise they should understand this, even big Indian tourist business should join this idea. If first lions are introduced there and than a few tigers allowed to join from the north I am sure that all big international nature TV channels - Discovery, National Geographic, Animal planet etc will go to Kuno. Its a unique economic opportunity for India.

thats what gujj, namo govt and his gang fear.

(12-07-2017, 09:41 AM)Wolverine Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 09:15 AM)Rishi Wrote: @Wolverine I on the other hand think it's a pretty sensible solution. A lot of money has gone into the resettlement of villagers & developing prey base.
Lack of predators for long, might cause serious problem now.

Introducing tigresses would mean that the Ranthambore spillover tigers that visit Kuno-Palpur would settle down there & in time their progeny would heal Ranthambore's genetic depression. It is a 5000km² landscape, with lots of potential..

Madhya Pradesh was contemplating rewilding zoo-bred lions anyway. Apparently Gujarat was planning to get rid of it worst inbred specimens with genetic deformities, by giving them to MP...
(I'm very happy with how long it took me to find a genetically deformed lion)

I disagree my friend. Saving of entire subspecie - Asiatic lion or Panthera leo persica is much more important task for science than helping to improve the gene pool of smallish Ranthambor tiger population (the genes of Ranthambore tigers could be freshed artificially also by importing there a tigers from other parks). Tiger is my favourite animal, but I think there are plenty of places all over of India where tigers could live, but there is only one potential new good habitat for Asiatic lions and that's Kuno wildlife sanctuary. It should be not lost. Basically you accept the position of Gijarati nationalists, their dream is tigers to colonise entire Kuno, I think some of them even plot secretly to throw a couple of tigers in Kuno and hence to destroy all Asiatic Lion reintroduction project.

You got the purpose right.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project - Sanju - 11-16-2018, 10:54 PM