There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Do you support lion translocation from Gir to Kuno Palpur?
Absolutely!
No.
On the fence...
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(05-10-2017, 09:15 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(05-10-2017, 08:31 AM)Pckts Wrote: Spoke with my guide on the subject, ranthambhore is like Tadoba in landscape but even more hilly, gir is open, dry and has little to no tree cover, much like the African terrain, I have major doubt that you can find suitable habitat for both in one place. Also, every park I went to has "open plains" or meadows but they're surrounded by dense forest and prey isn't andundent there like in Africa, no way it would support pride life and they'd still need to travel through the dense forest in search of prey, I see no way for both to coexist in the same territory unless one adapts the others way of life depending on where it is.
Just my 2 cents after seeing it first hand, I'll be able to go into more detail once I'm home.

That's odd, where was that guide from??!!!
I've been to both Ranthambore & Gir as a teenager..They look EXACTLY same, with lot of flora overlap!!!
Actually Ranth has some grasslands, where there used to be villages & farms, but Gir has bushy scrublands..The hills are mostly barren.

Just Gir's vegetation consists of more dry forest species like acacia & teak (Ranth has more dry desiduous like babool, neem & dhok) & doesn't have those thickly wooded patches that Ranth does.
Both the other sanctuaries Girnar & Barda are thickly forested..Barda a bit less.
I agree on the point that they won't coexist as i can't really imagine such a scenario, but territoial tensions should still remain...as both parties' most common habitat would be a similar woodland-grassland mozaic.
He's been to Ranth but is going to gir/Ranth in June but he's well connected and knows many who've been to both. He's a resident of pune and has been going to reserves all his life so he's pretty well known but like I was saying. About Kahna/pench/Tadoba, they are forests first and foremost. Not a chance that a pride of lions thrives there or even a coalition of males, they'd make a ton of noise and being lions, they'd be easy to spot and gypsies would pester them constantly. You don't see tigers until you hear a call and even then it's rare, you may know where one was spotted the other day and go back there and get lucky but again, very rare. Tigers are so elusive it's frustrating, you have to get extremely lucky to spot one, no matter the reserve. There is no guarantee.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project - Pckts - 05-10-2017, 09:55 AM