There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: Do you support lion translocation from Gir to Kuno Palpur?
Absolutely!
No.
On the fence...
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 09:56 PM by Rishi )

(05-09-2017, 09:53 AM)$uSpiciou$ Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 04:20 PM)Rishi Wrote: The following is a scenery of Kailadevi Sanctuary that's a part of Ranthambore's buffer, directly connected to Kuno landscape.
I bet when the lions start expanding, such open valleys that can support dozen strong prides, are gonna be the areas that the stripes probably won't be able to hold...

*This image is copyright of its original author

Experts said its perfect & lion-ready.. 
We all know what happened to Broken Tail (Machli's son from her first litter). He ventured far away in the human vegetation and died when a train ran over him. My point is Tigers were travelling then and they are gonna travel now. Now there is more pressure on ranthambore since tigers are more and area is less. Same will happen with lions. they too will travel once Kuno is full with lions.

I went to Ranthambore in march and everyone there told me that even Sultan or T 72 resides in Kailadevi Sanctuary. If he is there soon many others will follow. and Sultan is no pushover. My point here is Lions only won't have transient or weak tigers to face. They will need to tackle some prime one's like Sultan if they ever are relocated to Kuno. The clashes could be more brutal than we imagine and no matter who wins or loses we will loose our big cats anyways. So I actually don't think Kuno is a good choice for lions at all.

While you make a valid points, i maintain a different point of view altogether.

This whole landscape, being a mosaic of scrublands & woodlands (newly formed grasslands), has housed both cats for millenia..& hasn't undergone THAT drastic a change since.
*This image is copyright of its original author

They'll just have to find their own niche again & they'll have to do it THEMSELVES.
Eg: As to better the chances of success good lion specimens are most likely to be chosen for translocation, lion pride presence in Kuno might trigger the Ranthambore's transients to move Southwest towards the impoverished Dara & Mukundara sanctuaries...who knows!

By the time the lions start colonising, their numbers would have to be atleast 100 in Kuno forest-complex.
At thaf point, BOTH parties being inbred to an extent, it's VITAL that some die on either sides, for the sake of natural selection. The fate of the pushovers don't bother me...
3 users Like Rishi's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asiatic Lion Reintroduction Project - Rishi - 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM