There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(10-27-2016, 04:17 PM)Georgel Wrote: I never heard of Dark Mane Majingilane badly injured by the Matimbas.

That is because it didn't happen. There was no physical confrontation. If you keep reading the blog's updates, you will see that there's a couple of mentions of the Matimba males, and then they keep seeing the Majingilane males, who obviously came back to ensure the dominance over the area, and then the mentions of the Matimbas stop.

Quote:we can assume that the Majingilanes left some areas because they had to, pushed out by other coalitions, not because they get bored by the lionesses of some prides.

More than "pushed out" it may be "pressured". But they weren't pushed out by the Matimbas, certainly.

When they lost interest on the Styx pride and stayed south with the other prides, it wasn't the Matimbas who became dominant over this pride, but the Nkuhuma males.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States leocrest Offline

i think the natural progression in sabi sands is for lions to start in the east and move west as they age. the mapogo did it to a degree and the maji have done so 100%. i think it's only a matter of time before the birminghams move west.
3 users Like leocrest's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

Just about 2 months after the historical confrontation between the 3 Mapogos (Makhulu, PB and MrT) and the Matimbas in EP in June 2011
?

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like Fredymrt's post

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-02-2016, 04:03 PM by fursan syed )

(11-02-2016, 01:51 PM)Fredymrt Wrote: Just about 2 months after the historical confrontation between the 3 Mapogos (Makhulu, PB and MrT) and the Matimbas in EP in June 2011
?

- 3 Mapogos versus 3 Matimbas -
Mak,T and PB vs. HB, Ginger and the oldest Matimba
The mystery night June 19th 2011

(by Mark Broodryk, Head Guide, Singita Sabi Sand June - 22 - 2011)
"Forty-eight hours ago we located 3 adult male lions just north of the lodge (presumed to be the ones people refer to as “the Mapogos”). We found them by responding to vocalization; it sounded like a massive fight between adult male lions. On locating these three, we noticed that they had been badly beaten, were bloodied and received massive fresh scars from the ensuing morning battle. The three of them walked off with a very determined striding pace and didn’t even stop or look back to the area where the battle took place and continued south and west across the Sand river into the western Sabi Sand and we haven’t seen them since. Meanwhile south of the river, roughly around the same time, some new male lions killed a younger male from the southern pride. We presumed the murderers to be the so called “Majingilanes". We haven’t had too much exposure to these individuals and thus will be trying to put together some photo identity kits of these individuals. What is important to note, is that these were not necessarily the same individuals involved in the skirmish north of the river! We never located the individuals that ousted the “Mapogos” and thus could well have been other individuals. Unfortunately this is all we have at this stage, but will keep you posted should we have a more accurate assessment as to what is currently happening amongst the territorial males in the area."

by Khimbini Hlongwane
"Last the three mapogo were very vocal north of inyati lodge I then visited Singita and again on North of ebony lodge there male lions roaring the whole night. This morning I tracked three mapogo from inyati airstrip all the way east and they crossed ottawa corseway in the direction where the other lions were roaring. They ran straight into *matimbas. They got into a serious battle but when the Singita Guides got to the area they saw the mapogos running back west carrying few bloody wounds. We are still not sure status of the *matimbas because they won't come out of one the thick blocks on north eastern part of ottawa."

*Mistakenly Khimbini thought it would be the Majingilanes.

by Mele Andru
"Khimbi it seems 3 Majingi were not involved in this battle beeing too busy to mating with 2 Sparta lionesses in Mala Mala ( and that for 3 days ) . It could be simply another coalition , less probably to be young males because you herd many roarings during night . I hope this informations will help . Keep in touch !"

by Kyaw Soe Win
"No, it was 3 Matimba males known also as Sava males. Sava = shy , Matimba = stronge.
Now they are not shy anymore, Even bigger and stronger.
They are 6 brothers.
5 are 5 years and 1 is 7 years old.
Last week they probably injured one of Majingilanes with dark means seriously.
I got this information in a email from photographer who has taken many pictures of Matimba/Sava males. I am sure the rangers from Singita can confirm it."

by Chris O'Neil
"It does indeed look like it may have been 3 of the Matimbas. And the Majingis have also been around Matimba territory too apparently. I heard from Singita that they killed a young Southern Pride (Selati) male recently."
4 users Like fursan syed's post

Matimbas were hiding from the Mapogos after a vicious fight and the next day the Mapogos had barely moved a kilometer. Clearly the Mapogos were not afraid as they stayed very close to the area where the fight took place and only the Mapogos continued to rule Singita for another year.
[/quote]

wrong the matimbas were at chettah plains...
4 users Like Fredymrt's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

(11-02-2016, 03:52 PM)Fredymrt Wrote: Matimbas were hiding from the Mapogos after a vicious fight and the next day the Mapogos had barely moved a kilometer. Clearly the Mapogos were not afraid as they stayed very close to the area where the fight took place and only the Mapogos continued to rule Singita for another year.

[/quote]

That was the addition. I will edit it. But its clear that confrontration is between mapogos and matimbas not majingilanes

Greece LionKiss Offline

how do the rangers know that it was 3 Matimbas since no one saw them?
3 users Like LionKiss's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

(11-03-2016, 12:00 AM)LionKiss Wrote: how do the rangers know that it was 3 Matimbas since no one saw them?

well may be assuming. but on my opinion i think may be 4 matimbas involved in it because just after 2 months the verbal confrontation occurs between majingilanes and matimbas and that time 4 matimbas were involved in it
2 users Like fursan syed's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

(11-03-2016, 12:10 AM)fursan syed Wrote:
(11-03-2016, 12:00 AM)LionKiss Wrote: how do the rangers know that it was 3 Matimbas since no one saw them?

well may be assuming. but on my opinion i think may be 4 matimbas involved in it because just after 2 months the verbal confrontation occurs between majingilanes and matimbas and that time 4 matimbas were involved in it

it should be the same 4 involved with the Majingilane later, there is a photo of them in a pan drinking water
3 users Like LionKiss's post

(11-03-2016, 01:43 AM)LionKiss Wrote:
(11-03-2016, 12:10 AM)fursan syed Wrote:

it should be the same 4 involved with the Majingilane later, there is a photo of them in a pan drinking water

fanatics make there own stories spreading lies about what happend.
i saw the pictures of the matimba males there were 5 of them at chettah plains on june 18th,19th 20th,....quite far from othawa.
3 users Like Fredymrt's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(11-04-2016, 04:15 PM)Fredymrt Wrote: fanatics make there own stories spreading lies about what happend.
i saw the pictures of the matimba males there were  5  of them at chettah plains on june 18th,19th 20th,....quite far from othawa.

Along with the same line, there was also a comment that said that the males the Mapogos fought were just two males, not three.

There's the very real possibility of being two of the Matimba males, because we know they were starting to make very timid approachs in that northern area and also there was the suspicion that the males involved were non other than the Othawa males, the sons of the Mapogo.

Some rejected this, obviously because they didn't want having to accept that two younger males had just defeated the Mapogos, but there's room for the posibility of it because, after all, no one knows really what happened, or who were the males involved.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Kevin Power - Londolozi.

Ginger keeping an eye on a hyena. He was with his brother and the Mangheni breakaway girls.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

(11-02-2016, 03:52 PM)Fredymrt Wrote: Matimbas were hiding from the Mapogos after a vicious fight and the next day the Mapogos had barely moved a kilometer. Clearly the Mapogos were not afraid as they stayed very close to the area where the fight took place and only the Mapogos continued to rule Singita for another year.

[/quote]

(11-04-2016, 04:43 PM)Majingilane Wrote:
(11-04-2016, 04:15 PM)Fredymrt Wrote: fanatics make there own stories spreading lies about what happend.
i saw the pictures of the matimba males there were  5  of them at chettah plains on june 18th,19th 20th,....quite far from othawa.

Along with the same line, there was also a comment that said that the males the Mapogos fought were just two males, not three.

There's the very real possibility of being two of the Matimba males, because we know they were starting to make very timid approachs in that northern area and also there was the suspicion that the males involved were non other than the Othawa males, the sons of the Mapogo.

Some rejected this, obviously because they didn't want having to accept that two younger males had just defeated the Mapogos, but there's room for the posibility of it because, after all, no one knows really what happened, or who were the males involved.
a new conspiracy theory never been heard before. Are the rangers who said they were matimbas are also fanatics.  
Can u please provide some concrete evidence supporting your theory.

Big Cats Enthusiast

I am asking about the fight with othawa boys instead of the matimbas. I had talk collen hollard about it before. First they were thinking they are majingilane but then they confirmed it they were matimbas.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(11-04-2016, 09:00 PM)Georgel Wrote: Please stop doing this! If you have some evidence then post this, and only after say "there's room for the possibility".  (Old habits die hard!)

I will say whatever I need to say, how many times it needs to be said.

If you don't like it, then that is not my problem. 

Toughen up, but stop trying to shut me up just out of feelings.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post