There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Backlighting of a Matimba male. Credits to Don Heyneke.

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Hairy belly checking out his territory, credits to Sean Cresswell.

9 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

From Matimba Males FB

Here's a photo of the last two Northern Matimba's. Photo taken on the 27th July 2016 in KNP. The Matimba males were a coalition of 6 male lions but there's only 4 Matimba males left now. One Matimba male was killed in 2011/12, one Matimba male was killed by the Avoca males in 2015, 2 Matimba males are in Sabi Sands now and the other two Matimba males are in the KNP. The Northern Matimba's had a territory in Ngala Game Reserve but they were ousted a few months ago. Credits: Gert at Tambuzi.

5 users Like Gamiz's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2016, 01:46 AM by Ngala )

From Londolozi Game Reserve, The Week in Pictures #246, by Don Heyneke:
"Dave Strachan enjoying a sighting of a Matimba male and a Mhangeni breakaway female."

7 users Like Ngala's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Matimba male Ginger 
Credits:Caleb Andrew Peterson
Pic TakenUselessnknown

5 users Like Gamiz's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

We watched this guy follow a lioness for about 1km . What a incredible specimen. Giving us great photographic opportunities as they were mobile the whole time allowing us to get into position for some walk by's. 

Credits to Anthon Wessels

Ginger 

6 users Like Gamiz's post

United States jacksonsmash Offline

who evicted the nothern matimbas?from which pride were they evicted  are they still nomads?  which pride do the southern matimbas control?are they in sabi sands or mayeleti or knp
3 users Like jacksonsmash's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-30-2016, 12:27 PM)jacksonsmash Wrote: who evicted the nothern matimbas?from which pride were they evicted  are they still nomads?  which pride do the southern matimbas control?are they in sabi sands or mayeleti or knp

I think I've said it in another post, but I'm not 100% sure they have been expelled from their territory. I know the post in the FB page said that, but let's just say I have my reservations on trusting it.

However, they are old males, so it might be just a matter of time. They had fought off the Giraffe males once, but I'm not sure which males are around in that territory.

The southern Matimbas control the Tsalala pride.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States jacksonsmash Offline

when did these guys split into different coalitions/do they have any offspring around   probably not as many as the majingilane im sure        which prides have they controlled.......i would go thru the whole thread but my computer keeps freezing up so it takes a long time.........any help is much appreciated............im thinking of sticking to just males from the sabi sand game reserve for now............so many coalitons out there
4 users Like jacksonsmash's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(09-02-2016, 10:34 AM)jacksonsmash Wrote: when did these guys split into different coalitions

I'm not quite sure when they splitted, but it must have been during 2012-2013, I'm going just off my mind here.

Quote:do they have any offspring around

They do, many in fact for the Northern males, but most if not all are subadults, maybe even ready to be independent. Thery have been extremely successful males.

The Southern Matimbas have cubs with the Tsalala pride as well.

Quote:which prides have they controlled

I'm not entirely sure for the Northern males, but I do know they controlled the Talamati pride at some point, the Mbiri pride and others I can't remember right now.

As for ther Southern males, they used to control the Nkuhuma and Styx prides before being expelled by the Birmingham males. Now they control the Tsalala pride and have been seen in very good terms with the Mangheni pride, particularly with the daughters of the Majingilane.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

The Week in Pictures #247, by Sean Creswell.

Open and clean. A stunning low angle view of a Matimba male lion as he walks and roars, with overcast conditions setting this scene.

Dark tones. Approaching sunlight. A curious nose raised up into the informative air. A Matimba male lion sniffs what is being carried on the cool morning air.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Ginger Matimba.

Photo and information credits: Jak Wonderly Photography
"We tracked this large male lion through the bush, he emerged and walked right past the Land Rover. Behind-the-scenes video link in bio."

5 users Like Ngala's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Video of the sighting of the previous pic, credits to Jak Wonderly.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

"Early Morning Patrol" One of two large males we followed on their way back to the pride early one morning. Beautiful light on this cool spring morning. Londolozi Private Game Reserve, South Africa.

Credits to Essential Africa Guide Safaris

HB

6 users Like Gamiz's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Dust billows after an aggressive interaction between a Matimba male and a Mhangeni lioness, this time over food. The lions had killed a small buffalo calf early in the morning, and the male had hogged the carcass for himself. As this lioness approached, the male began investigating her mating potential, and she took the opportunity to try and feed, but as soon as the male saw this he reacted violently. Credits to Amy Attenborough, Photograph by James Tyrrell.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post