There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(04-16-2024, 01:57 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Mbiris video above is 2 years old.

Scar was seen a few days ago in Manyeleti not limping, and almost caught a Mbiri subadult male.

Thank you for that. I thought it was odd that we were not hearing about this "new" injury from anyone else. I will now make a mental note regarding this channel moving forward. Cheers @Mapokser
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 08:42 PM by BA0701 )

(04-16-2024, 07:29 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 06:12 PM)Timbavati Wrote: A recent sighting of the bigger-maned Mbiri male at AndBeyond Ngala Private Game Reserve
Photo credit: Juju Raw

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

Zigzag and Shaka are such an amazing duo! 
His lip almost looks like the nerve damage could be healing and he’s able to move his lip a bit.
Is he related to Makhulu mapogo? He looks like him especially in the first picture.
Thank you for updates!

It is unknown exactly how his lip was damaged, as nobody witnessed the event. We did see it in the first few days after, though, there was even concern for him at that time, but as we have all seen over the years since, he and Shaka are extremely tough resilient lions, so he bounced back. I cannot speak to nerve damage, but there is definitely damage that was never able to heal properly. In certain pictures, you can see that his lower lip/chin area was separated (ripped) from the front of his gums/jaw. It is believed he was likely kicked during a hunt, possibly by a buffalo.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

It's worth mentioning that when he was first seen with the damaged lip, his entire body was damaged from an attack by at least 2 lions.

He had injuries to his hindlimbs and was very skinny. So he could very well have damaged the lip in that fight.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 11:39 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-16-2024, 11:34 PM)Mapokser Wrote: It's worth mentioning that when he was first seen with the damaged lip, his entire body was damaged from an attack by at least 2 lions.

He had injuries to his hindlimbs and was very skinny. So he could very well have damaged the lip in that fight.

He was seen in rough condition then, but i dont remember seeing injuries which would suggest that.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 the person who shared the footage literally said it, it was written in the video.

In fact I believe the video of his limp from 2 years ago shared here recently is from the same time.

He recovered his weight quickly but was still limping heavily from the injuries that he got when he was first seen with the damaged lip. There's a video of him on Ngala WildEarth showing him with the same limp just after he recovered his weight when he was saw with the damaged lip the first time.

United States criollo2mil Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 05:52 PM by criollo2mil )

(04-17-2024, 12:58 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 the person who shared the footage literally said it, it was written in the video.

In fact I believe the video of his limp from 2 years ago shared here recently is from the same time.

He recovered his weight quickly but was still limping heavily from the injuries that he got when he was first seen with the damaged lip. There's a video of him on Ngala WildEarth showing him with the same limp just after he recovered his weight when he was saw with the damaged lip the first time.

I have the video in question and I have to disagree.  

The injuries did NOT look like it was from other lions.  

Everyone blamed the Ross and WE said they thought so.  But footage the next day showed him following the Ross closely.  did not show a lion that had just been attacked by them.  

I have always believed his injuries came from a hunting mishap.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

(04-17-2024, 01:48 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 12:58 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 the person who shared the footage literally said it, it was written in the video.

Everyone blamed the Ross and WE said they thought so.  But footage the next day showed him following the Ross closely.  did not show a lion that had just been attacked by them.  

Here is the video for context. I need to review on larger screen but I do not see any surface wounds like those from other lions.

I know Roan comments and speculates but they also specialties it was Ross and you can see here, if that were the case, why actually follow one presumably hours after they just beat you up?

2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

(04-17-2024, 06:30 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Here is the video for context.   I need to review on larger screen but I do not see any surface wounds like those from other lions.  

I know Roan comments and speculates but they also specialties it was Ross and you can see here, if that were the case, why actually follow one presumably hours after they just beat you up?

Wow, there is a blast from the past. Roan mentioning they were going to let nature take it's course, while people were screaming for them to help BYM with his badly injured leg. Look at our boy now! They made the right move, clearly, but if he'd gotten further injured or worse, people would have blamed their team for not helping him, and to do so would have been so wrong in my opinion.

However, we were discussing Scar Mbiri's lip, not sure how that got turned around to be about BYM, but I am OK with revisiting that conversation as well, if only for the nostalgia.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-17-2024, 06:30 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Here is the video for context.   I need to review on larger screen but I do not see any surface wounds like those from other lions.  

We where talking about Scar Mbiri, not BYM.

BYM was indeed injured by Ross males.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

(04-17-2024, 07:50 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Here is the video for context.   I need to review on larger screen but I do not see any surface wounds like those from other lions.  

Wow, there is a blast from the past. Roan mentioning they were going to let nature take it's course, while people were screaming for them to help BYM with his badly injured leg. Look at our boy now! They made the right move, clearly, but if he'd gotten further injured or worse, people would have blamed their team for not helping him, and to do so would have been so wrong in my opinion.

However, we were discussing Scar Mbiri's lip, not sure how that got turned around to be about BYM, but I am OK with revisiting that conversation as well, if only for the nostalgia.

I totally got wires crossed. Big oooopps.
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

(04-17-2024, 09:44 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 07:50 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

I totally got wires crossed.    Big oooopps.

LOL, no worries at all my friend, it happens to us all, I assure you.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

The eldest of the Skorro Males offspring.

11 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Wow, I'm happy he's still alive.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-17-2024, 10:01 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The eldest of the Skorro Males offspring.    

He is looking really good, glad to hear he is still alive.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

(04-18-2024, 04:52 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 10:01 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The eldest of the Skorro Males offspring.    

He is looking really good, glad to hear he is still alive.
Their son from the myambula pride? If so, it's unfortunate his fathers were dethroned so fast.

On another note: I think there's quite a bit of matimbas lineage inbreeding in and around that area in my opinion.
1 user Likes Robot00's post