There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ttimemarti Offline

10? When will they turn 10?

United States Cath2020 Offline

I said 'as they approach 10'...but they could be 8 or 9.  They are at least 8, turning 9 this year, without a doubt.  Or, if they were born during the latter half of 2014, they will turn 10 this year.  Based off that picture of Amahle as a sub back in 2017, he's around 3 give or take....
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2024, 12:29 AM by Tr1x24 )

(02-26-2024, 11:54 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: As they approach 10, they will start to feel very vulnerable to larger coalitions. 

They are just 8 yrs old.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-27-2024, 12:26 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: I said 'as they approach 10'...but they could be 8 or 9.  They are at least 8, turning 9 this year, without a doubt.  Or, if they were born during the latter half of 2014, they will turn 10 this year.  Based off that picture of Amahle as a sub back in 2017, he's around 3 give or take....

They are born in late 2015.

Theres picture of both Amahle and Gore in late 2016 as small 1 year old cubs.

(02-27-2024, 12:27 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 11:54 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: As they approach 10, they will start to feel very vulnerable to larger coalitions. 

Thry are just 8 yrs old.

Approaching 10 is not the same as turning 10 years old.  We don't know exactly.  I think they were born early 2015 or the middle of that year....so 8.5 or 9 for sure.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-27-2024, 12:30 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Approaching 10 is not the same as turning 10 years old.  We don't know exactly.  I think they were born early 2015 or the middle of that year....so 8.5 or 9 for sure.

Regardless of age, Ndhzengas are no more in danger of other coalitions then rest of territorial males.

They are not "aging", they are in absolute prime years.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

On the contrary, we are all "aging" and I did mention that the Ndhzenga's can handle one or two males, which MEANS that they are probably in their prime years.  However, even in their prime years, it'll be hard for two males to beat/defeat a coalition of larger males IF the coalition actually came together and aimed to do just that, not just lurking here and there, scouting out....but with calculated effort.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2024, 01:39 AM by Tr1x24 )

(02-27-2024, 12:41 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: On the contrary, we are all "aging" and I did mention that the Ndhzenga's can handle one or two males, which MEANS that they are probably in their prime years.  However, even in their prime years, it'll be hard for two males to beat/defeat a coalition of larger males IF the coalition actually came together and aimed to do just that, not just lurking here and there, scouting out....but with calculated effort.

That applies for every coalition, not just Ndhzengas.

Kambulas are current threat, not in 2-3 yrs when Ndhzengas will be exiting prime years.

Thats my point.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Two years is a lot of time for a animal that only lives 16 or so. 

I think its pointless to speculate about who the kambulas are going to target next. If the Kambulas are just not ready they will continue wandering and who knows where they end up, if they dont disapear into kruger.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2024, 05:20 AM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 as I've said in the other thread, those photos of the Ndhzengas as cubs shared in 2016 aren't from 2016.

The person who found those photos and was responsible for establishing the narrative of the Ndhzengas age told this to a guy from my private group, that he was wrong and that he found a photo of the larger Ndhzenga in 2017 proving the photos shared in 2016 were older and the Ndhzengas are older than what he was misled to believe.

It'd be impossible for him to go from a little cub in 2016 to a 3yo sub growing a mohawk in 2017, the guy who found the photos said it himself.

RookiePundit Offline

(02-26-2024, 11:54 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(02-26-2024, 07:50 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Suprising that Kambulas didnt commit in the north and moved away.

Looks like besides K4, other males are still not in the "territorial mindset" and they still rather hang with their sister and just roam around.

This might be a problem for other territorial males in Sabi Sands, 4 pretty much full grown males roaming around is dangerous.

This could be a problem for the N'was Males soon.  As they approach 10, they will start to feel very vulnerable to larger coalitions.  Right now, they can pretty much handle a solo male or a duo....but the big crunch comes with large, nomadic, restless males testing the limits of what they can do as they gain more and more confidence.  

Their territory and prides are the most logical choice for a coalition of 3+ males to target in the next months/years.  They are the oldest duo in SS at the moment, they control the largest territory, plus have access to more females than other coalitions.
But there is catch in case of Kambulas - it is their native pride. While possible, it is quite unlikely for them to turn their focus that way.

Ttimemarti Offline

Nwaswitshaka males born 2015-2016

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2024, 10:24 AM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser 

He is not 3 yrs old in 2017 on that picture, he is 2 in late 2017 on that picture.

Picture of them all in late 2017 as 2 years old subs:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Picture of Amahle in late 2018, as 3 yrs old with barely any mane:

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-27-2024, 05:19 AM)Mapokser Wrote: It'd be impossible for him to go from a little cub in 2016 to a 3yo sub growing a mohawk in 2017, the guy who found the photos said it himself.

He is 2 on that photo from 2017.

Its not impossible, period from 1 year to 2 years is when lions grown the most and fastest, at 2 yrs of age males reach size of adult lioness.

Just look at current NK bteakaway male, he is bigger then adult female at 2, with mane.

Ttimemarti Offline

Depending on who we are taking about they are anywhere from 8-9 considering they where born 2015-2016 I’d say late 2015 amahle early 2016 erongji anyway they are in their absolute prime and they don’t look old if they are 9 years old they still look pretty young