There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-10-2023, 05:06 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 02:17 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 01:56 AM)Mapokser Wrote: These Talamati names, I'm pretty sure, were given by fans, I doubt rangers would use them.

I particularly don't like using these fan names.
I agree and disagree.

There wouldn't be names made by 'fans' if the guides named the lions properly instead of referring to characteristics and repetitive nicknames. They are under no obligation to do this, but if they did, it would be good for easier ID and for the called 'fans' not to have to create names i guess? Idk.
Guess they are not doing it, anyways in Mara the lions have much greater identification

I understand but I kind of disagree. The characteristics are great, for me Floppy Ear is an example of a good functional name, it's one thing with Nchile and Mandevu in Manyeleti as they re refered as such all the time on their videos and naturally on the internet everywhere as well. But I particularly have problems with the Talamati Young Males names, not exactly with the names themselves, but I coudln't remember which one is which fro a long time as they are used so seldomly :) So for me Dark Mane and Blonde/Light Mane or something like that works well :)

I agree a name like wonky eye kinda angel disrespectful and I just call them darkmane jr and lighter maned talamati boy lol I love when they give the males names
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Mwk85 Offline

Nkuhuma male. He was on his own during this sighting.

9 users Like Mwk85's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Kambula males

6 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

According to Tendai Moyo in the comments, Kambula sister is 400m away with an impala kill, and the BDM crossed to MalaMala following buffalo.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

( This post was last modified: 12-11-2023, 01:14 AM by KM600 )

(12-11-2023, 12:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: According to Tendai Moyo in the comments, Kambula sister is 400m away with an impala kill, and the BDM crossed to MalaMala following buffalo.

That video might have been taken yesterday or atleast earlier in the morning cos Deon Kelbrick (Deon_wildlifephotography on ig) has just posted Mohawk with his 4 sons in Nkorho and then also said 4 Kambula males were in Nkorho too. 

Southern Avoca in Northern parts of Londolozi.

4 users Like KM600's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(12-11-2023, 12:59 AM)KM600 Wrote:  Deon Kelbrick (Deon_wildlifephotography on ig) has just posted Mohawk with his 4 sons in Nkorho and then also said 4 Kambula males were in Nkorho too. 

Both on Nkorhos property or both within Nkorhos traverse area?
2 users Like Tonpa's post

(12-11-2023, 01:08 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 12:59 AM)KM600 Wrote:  Deon Kelbrick (Deon_wildlifephotography on ig) has just posted Mohawk with his 4 sons in Nkorho and then also said 4 Kambula males were in Nkorho too. 

Both on Nkorhos property or both within Nkorhos traverse area?

He tagged Nkorhobushlodge for what it’s worth.
3 users Like KM600's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-11-2023, 06:30 PM by Tonpa )

Tuesday, 5 December 2023
  • The Imbali pride of lions consisting of three lioness and one male were stationary at Baobab Dam. [This was the Nharu Pride]
Wednesday, 6 December 2023
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, stationary on the Arathusa Safari Airstrip.
  • Three of the Nkuhuma female lioness, mobile south into Londolozi from Leopard drift.
Thursday, 7 December 2023
  • The Talamati break aways consisting of one adult female and three sub adult lions, mobile North from Elephant plains open area.
Saturday, 9 December 2023
  • The Kambula pride of lions consisting of four males and one female stationary on Marula Bult West.
  • Two Nkuhuma lioness drinking water at Leeukuil Pan.
Sunday, 10 December 2023
  • The Kambula pride consisting of four males stationary on the northern side of Elephant Plains Airstrip.
https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...mber-2023/

Boabab dam was pretty core Talamati Breakaway territory, looks like they are being pushed south west. They've been spending more time in Simbambili and now Elephant Plains.
4 users Like Tonpa's post

(12-11-2023, 04:14 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Tuesday, 5 December 2023
  • The Imbali pride of lions consisting of three lioness and one male were stationary at Baobab Dam
Wednesday, 6 December 2023
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, stationary on the Arathusa Safari Airstrip.
  • Three of the Nkuhuma female lioness, mobile south into Londolozi from Leopard drift.
Thursday, 7 December 2023
  • The Talamati break aways consisting of one adult female and three sub adult lions, mobile North from Elephant plains open area.
Saturday, 9 December 2023
  • The Kambula pride of lions consisting of four males and one female stationary on Marula Bult West.
  • Two Nkuhuma lioness drinking water at Leeukuil Pan.
Sunday, 10 December 2023
  • The Kambula pride consisting of four males stationary on the northern side of Elephant Plains Airstrip.
https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...mber-2023/

Boabab dam was pretty core Talamati Breakaway territory, looks like they are being pushed south west. They've been spending more time in Simbambili and now Elephant Plains.

Been wanting lions to claim old Talamati territory, quite fitting that it’s the breakaways who seem to be doing it. Good thing is they can prolly push a bit further West if needed, as PCMs aren’t really around Northern Singita regularly, or at all really.
2 users Like KM600's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-11-2023, 04:30 PM)KM600 Wrote: Good thing is they can prolly push a bit further West if needed, as PCMs aren’t really around Northern Singita regularly, or at all really.

That would be good area for Talamati breakaways, its pretty low with lion activity.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

MarciaLanot Offline

(12-10-2023, 10:36 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Nkuhuma male. He was on his own during this sighting.

They couldn't stick together finally with Skorro Orpen... I wonder what's the problem ...

NLAL11 Offline

(12-11-2023, 06:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 04:30 PM)KM600 Wrote: Good thing is they can prolly push a bit further West if needed, as PCMs aren’t really around Northern Singita regularly, or at all really.

That would be good area for Talamati breakaways, its pretty low with lion activity.

Are the Nkuhuma breakaways not in Northern Singita? Or have they moved into the Western sector?

And the Tsalala lioness seems to occupy her mother's old territory along the Sand River, so they might run into her. She's probably not a threat herself, but of course she's mating and therefore attracting males.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-11-2023, 07:26 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Are the Nkuhuma breakaways not in Northern Singita? Or have they moved into the Western sector?

Recently NK Breakaways are seen further west.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

(12-11-2023, 07:32 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 07:26 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Are the Nkuhuma breakaways not in Northern Singita? Or have they moved into the Western sector?

Recently NK Breakaways are seen further west.

The Talamati breakaways wouldn’t need that much territory anyways baring in mind they have no pride male so it could prolly work.
2 users Like KM600's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Not sure if it was mentioned, Imbali young males chased Mohawk 2-3 weeks ago:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post