There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 06:36 AM by BA0701 )

There are all sorts of takeovers, bloodless takeovers, takeovers that are the result of serious conflict, some that can be over after a 10 minute skirmish and some that can take a long time to develop, both in bloodless coupes and those that result from conflict. So, there is no one way that is the normal way, I don't believe there is actually a normal takeover, just takeovers that play out as they will. We've all seen them. The extended bloodless sort are like what we saw with the Tumbelas and the Othawas, though even that wasn't quite as long as the BDMs and Nkuhumas situation.

While I think the young Nkuhumas leaving their natal pride with Mohawk, and making their mark with other prides is the best option, rarely do these lions do what I would like for them to do. We will just have to see how it plays out. As for Mohawk and the young Nkuhuma males, if those young males suddenly find their confidence, then the 5 of them could be a serious problem for the 2 S BDMs. While I hope we don't see that, we will just have to see what they decide to do as time goes by.

Just an aside, personally, I think Hairy Belly stops that takeover, even in the absence of Ginger, if it happens two years earlier, due to the, understandable, lack of confidence by the Tumbelas. Heck, even at his advanced age, solo HB still managed to chase the young Tumbelas a couple of times. HB was enormous in size, and as scrappy of a lion as you'll find, any 14 year old male with the stones to ride a buffalo is sure to earn some respect..
8 users Like BA0701's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

A short clip of the Talamati boys and NK male. Talamatis are looking massive.

13 users Like 1999gc8's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

What was the composition of the Southern Pride cubs? 
 From recent posts it seems this cub is the deceased one

*This image is copyright of its original author

While these two remain

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-30-2023, 02:07 PM)1999gc8 Wrote: A short clip of the Talamati boys and NK male. Talamatis are looking massive.

Yea, that DM male now looks more bulkier and muscular then NK male, which was not impression before when they where together.

Both Talamatis and Kambulas bulked/grown a lot in the past half a year or so, especially this Talamati and Kambula 4 , both looking very impressive.

This guys traveled a lot, yesterday they where in western sector, today already in Sabi Sabi.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Well.. if this is indeed today, who is the wounded Lion seen a couple of days ago?  Sort of has to be the Southern Avoca doesn't it?

6 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-30-2023, 02:07 PM)1999gc8 Wrote: A short clip of the Talamati boys and NK male. Talamatis are looking massive.
And I was laugh at when I wrote there that I wouldn't be suprised if dark maned Talamati would be among biggest lions in Sabi Sands at the moment. Someone there even said that Nkuchuma male dwarwes Talamati male lol.

(10-30-2023, 03:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yea, that DM male now looks more bulkier and muscular then NK male, which was not impression before when they where together.
There was never before video or even picture of them being next to each others before and comparing them by somethink elese like of 2 separate videos (!) is worth absolutely nothink as I was arguing before and as example of recent comparisons of sizes of Nkuchuma and Talamatis males on this forum are perfectly proving my claim.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-30-2023, 05:31 PM)Potato Wrote: And I was laugh at when I wrote there that I wouldn't be suprised if dark maned Talamati would be among biggest lions in Sabi Sands at the moment. Someone there even said that Nkuchuma male dwarwes Talamati male lol.

That Talamati definetly didnt look close as bulky and muscular few months ago as he is now.

I said even before this footage with NK, that this Talamati bulked a lot recently.

(10-30-2023, 05:31 PM)Potato Wrote: There was never before video or even picture of them being next to each others before and comparing them by somethink elese like of 2 separate videos (!) is worth absolutely nothink as I was arguing before and as example of recent comparisons of sizes of Nkuchuma and Talamatis males on this forum are perfectly proving my claim.

Yes they where not seen straight next to each others before, but there was footage of them walking next to vechicle in the same shot and angle 1 by 1, and NK looked bulkier.

And then on next video when DM chases NK, from the same shot and angle, NK again looked much bulkier lion.

From the age 4 to 5, young males still grow a lot, not that much in height and lenght, how much in mass and muscles.

Just look at Kambula 4 male half a year ago at 4.5 yrs and now at 5 yrs.

Same with this DM Talamati.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

An unlikely coalition seems to be forming between the two Talamati males and the lone Nkuhuma male. The three nomadic male lions were found in the southern reaches of Sabi Sabi trailing a large herd of buffalo. It will be interesting to see if the Talamati males accept the Nkuhuma male which could be mutually beneficial to both parties in their pursuit to dominate a territory.

10 users Like Potato's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

Holy crap these three amigos are following the kambula boys down south. Now the south will be heavily contested and i dont think these three new amigos have a chance CURRENTLY against the

Two gijimas
Four kambulas
6+1 nkhulus 

Regardless of what happens, i just want to see the four kambula boys become kings

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(10-30-2023, 05:54 PM)Potato Wrote: An unlikely coalition seems to be forming between the two Talamati males and the lone Nkuhuma male. The three nomadic male lions were found in the southern reaches of Sabi Sabi trailing a large herd of buffalo. It will be interesting to see if the Talamati males accept the Nkuhuma male which could be mutually beneficial to both parties in their pursuit to dominate a territory.

Just when we thought the southern SS couldn't be more stacked with coalitions.
2 users Like Rabubi's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 07:36 PM by Tonpa )

Interesting, which male died/disappeared recently?

Male has 3 intact canines, upper right is missing.

9 users Like Tonpa's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(10-30-2023, 05:54 PM)Potato Wrote: An unlikely coalition seems to be forming between the two Talamati males and the lone Nkuhuma male. The three nomadic male lions were found in the southern reaches of Sabi Sabi trailing a large herd of buffalo. It will be interesting to see if the Talamati males accept the Nkuhuma male which could be mutually beneficial to both parties in their pursuit to dominate a territory.
I hope the NYM be actually accepted.
3 users Like afortich's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Talamati young males with Nkuhuma (NYM), Mohawk with the gang, Kambula pride, Styx pride, and Ottawa girls.

2 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 08:23 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-30-2023, 07:23 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Interesting, which male died/disappeared recently?

Woa, this came out of nowhere...

By the looks of the head, i think it might be last S.Avoca..

I think all other males in this area have been recently accounted for.

Could it be thats the male who was injured in Londolozi few days ago??
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-30-2023, 07:23 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Interesting, which male died/disappeared recently?

I sure hope it isn't one of the N'was, this is a terrible time for the pride to lose one of their protectors.
3 users Like BA0701's post