There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Yea, Talamatis under Gijimas is problem for SP and Styxs, as 4 Talamatis are stronger than them.

Any words of last Bboys Styx female ??

Her being alone in the area is very dangerous, she needs to reunite with Styx subs.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-25-2023, 07:43 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 01:13 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Some more sad news from Sabi Sabi.  

Read a report that Talamatis (females) have killed 1/3 Southern Pride Cubs

So many lions in close proximity.   Some sore pregnant and it’s raising hostilities.  

The southern area of Sabi sand has become a battle ground these last six months.

Would you post a link to the report, please.

its a private message from a guide. I dont share those.
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-25-2023, 03:43 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 07:43 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 01:13 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Some more sad news from Sabi Sabi.  

Read a report that Talamatis (females) have killed 1/3 Southern Pride Cubs

So many lions in close proximity.   Some sore pregnant and it’s raising hostilities.  

The southern area of Sabi sand has become a battle ground these last six months.

Would you post a link to the report, please.

its a private message from a guide.    I dont share those.

Totally understandable approach to take. That you always share with us what you hear, is appreciated by everyone!
4 users Like BA0701's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

6 users Like Horizon's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-26-2023, 03:57 PM by KM600 )

Apparently a BDM has been attacked while the two NSW and two lionesses were in the area but nobody actually witnessed the fight. BDMs been looking skinny recently so could instead be a Kambula YM but there’s not a lot of footage to go off. 

7 users Like KM600's post

Canada Robot00 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-26-2023, 05:20 PM by Robot00 )

Hopefully it's not a Kambula boy. Unfortunately this event is bound to happen since there's so many males in S.S atm.
1 user Likes Robot00's post

Contributor

Sabi Sabi now publicly acknowledging that Southern Pride has two remaining cubs.

“ After an unsuccessful morning tracking exercise in which we did not find the Southern Pride, we returned to the lodge. Early afternoon, on the way back from our private airstrip, we were spoiled by the Southern Pride, with two of the remaining cubs resting on a big rock overlooking the drainage line not far from the lodge. We headed back there on a game drive, where we found them in the same spot, resting on the cool rock with shade and safety around them.

Lionesses grieve over the loss of their young, and it was evident today as she was overlooking her surroundings and often looked around at her remaining cubs to make sure they were still with her and safe. Lion cubs will only reach a sense of safety at roughly 14 months of age; as these cubs are only around 8-9 months old, they still have a way to go.”

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-26-2023, 05:33 PM by Ngonya )

(10-26-2023, 03:54 PM)KM600 Wrote: Apparently a BDM has been attacked while the two NSW and two lionesses were in the area but nobody actually witnessed the fight. BDMs been looking skinny recently so could instead be a Kambula YM but there’s not a lot of footage to go off. 

"nsw" if this abbreviation was supposed to refer to N'waswitshaka, it makes no sense at all. But OK.

That's bad news
if it's one of the BDM it's certainly the most impressive and developed male. Regardless of which male it is, hopefully the injuries don't cause permanent sequelae like it did with Ubuso
3 users Like Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-26-2023, 06:42 PM by Tr1x24 )

He posted this picture after:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Yea, its Orange eyed BDM.

Looks like 2 Ndhzengas are very confident against 2 BDMs, recently seen hanging further north around their territory.

Hope its nothing suvere.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(10-26-2023, 05:29 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 03:54 PM)KM600 Wrote: Apparently a BDM has been attacked while the two NSW and two lionesses were in the area but nobody actually witnessed the fight. BDMs been looking skinny recently so could instead be a Kambula YM but there’s not a lot of footage to go off. 

"nsw" if this abbreviation was supposed to refer to N'waswitshaka, it makes no sense at all. But OK.

That's bad news
if it's one of the BDM it's certainly the most impressive and developed male. Regardless of which male it is, hopefully the injuries don't cause permanent sequelae like it did with Ubuso
Was meant to be NWS.

Hairy tummy Offline

4 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Just a question but am I wrong for calling the sabi sand black dam makes the southern black dam males and the 4 in the north the northern black dam males also with the kambula males northern and southern Kambulas even tho the southern Kambulas will probably get a coalition name since they have a third unrelated member
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Contributor

(10-26-2023, 08:59 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Just a question but am I wrong for calling the sabi sand black dam makes the southern black dam males and the 4 in the north the northern black dam males also with the kambula males northern and southern Kambulas even tho the southern Kambulas will probably get a coalition name since they have a third unrelated member

i do it...its not officlal of course but thats exactly how i describe them to make it easer for me in tracking
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(10-26-2023, 09:05 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 08:59 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Just a question but am I wrong for calling the sabi sand black dam makes the southern black dam males and the 4 in the north the northern black dam males also with the kambula males northern and southern Kambulas even tho the southern Kambulas will probably get a coalition name since they have a third unrelated member
Same 
i do it...its not officlal of course but thats exactly how i describe them to make it easer for me in tracking

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its probably best to adopt that. Could save a lot of confusion in the future.