There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Best case is neither really. That they both disperse further away from their natal prides.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Kambulas are unfortunately not going anywhere.

They will take territory in SS, we can only hope it will be without bloodshed or at least without much damage.

But there's still hope for Nkuhumas, if a stronger coalition than the BDM properly oust them, they might leave the area.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-06-2023, 02:08 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-06-2023, 12:54 AM)KM600 Wrote: Well then… Kambula males and their sister chased the Nkuhuma Pride, note only one male shown in video. Predicted Kambula YMs could come North and cause havoc but this is much quicker than I had imagined. Unless the BDMs pushed the Nkuhuma Pride South, the Kambulas could be making moves, big problem for everyone in the North, guess we’ll find out how serious they are if an altercation happens between them and the BDMs. 

K4 looks like absolute tank, reminds me of young Bboys when they came north, they where so bulky lions.

Lets see how this unfolds, can BDMs and S8 still chase them out is the real question now.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-06-2023, 02:51 AM by KM600 )

(10-06-2023, 02:06 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-06-2023, 12:54 AM)KM600 Wrote: Well then… Kambula males and their sister chased the Nkuhuma Pride, note only one male shown in video. Predicted Kambula YMs could come North and cause havoc but this is much quicker than I had imagined. Unless the BDMs pushed the Nkuhuma Pride South, the Kambulas could be making moves, big problem for everyone in the North, guess we’ll find out how serious they are if an altercation happens between them and the BDMs. 

K4 looks like absolute tank, reminds me of young Bboys when they came north, they where so bulky lions.

Lets see how this unfolds, can BDMs and S8 still chase them out is the real question now.
Was thinking the same thing, they’re great buffalo hunters and obviously sired by BBoys so that no doubt helped them massively. The 4 males seem to be split in age, two of them have well developed manes at the top of their head whereas the two seemingly younger have manes that are more similar to the elder Talamati, complete Mohawk style. Split in age could be a positive for S8 and BDMs but some young males have been known to be extremely aggressive, pretty sure majority of the BBoys were of similar age (5) when they ousted S Matimbas and secured their first territory.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Wouldn’t let me send it in the original message, but this video was taken early last month.

4 users Like KM600's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-06-2023, 02:36 AM)KM600 Wrote: Was thinking the same thing, they’re great buffalo hunters and obviously sired by BBoys so that no doubt helped them massively. The 4 males seem to be split in age, two of them have well developed manes at the top of their head whereas the two seemingly younger have manes that are more similar to the youngest Talamati, complete Mohawk style. Split in age could be a positive for S8 and BDMs but some young males have been known to be extremely aggressive, pretty sure majority of the BBoys were of similar age (5) when they ousted S Matimbas and secured their first territory.

3 are same age, 1 is half year younger, he is 2nd most developed in mane. Bigger mane doesnt mean male is older.

(10-06-2023, 02:38 AM)KM600 Wrote: Wouldn’t let me send it in the original message, but this video was taken early last month.

This was posted in "Birmingham male lineage" thread, where we post about these boys.

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Scar just released a video about the Matshipiris.

11 users Like BA0701's post

(10-06-2023, 02:49 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Scar just released a video about the Matshipiris.

Isn’t it believed the S Avocas let him die from starvation or whatever it was, despite how aggressive they were I’ve never really seen them as killers. Ofcourse he was no longer a threat with a broken leg but I remember hearing about them circling him and then just marking their territory and going on with their day.
3 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-06-2023, 04:04 AM by BA0701 )

(10-06-2023, 03:31 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(10-06-2023, 02:49 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Scar just released a video about the Matshipiris.

Isn’t it believed the S Avocas let him die from starvation or whatever it was, despite how aggressive they were I’ve never really seen them as killers. Ofcourse he was no longer a threat with a broken leg but I remember hearing about them circling him and then just marking their territory and going on with their day.

I don't know the answer as to what the general consensus is. But, once he was no longer a threat I could see them leaving him be. Birminghams did something similar recently, in fact they were laying near the RP male while he was still alive, which caused some confusion. In those photos with the Birminghams and the RP male, the white male did not yet have that bite to his face, which means if it was the RP male who delivered that bite, then he remained a danger to the end. So, it would make sense to leave a male lion alone, once he no longer poses a threat, would seem the prudent thing to do I think.

If the Matshipiri male laid in the same spot for days, then I'd have to think his injuries were far more than a broken leg. We have seen lions get up and move on broken/dislocated legs before, and look at what Dark Mane endured, his ribs were completely crush, you could see the bubbles from his lungs expanding, and he continued to move. Dark Mane was possibly the worst injuries I have seen a lion walking with. Even the 5th Majin actually stood up on his own, after he was mauled by Mr T and KT, the drive and will to survive in these creatures is unsurpassed.

Perhaps someone with more direct information on this knows more.
3 users Like BA0701's post

(10-06-2023, 03:58 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-06-2023, 03:31 AM)KM600 Wrote:

I don't know the answer as to what the general consensus is. But, once he was no longer a threat I could see them leaving him be. Birminghams did something similar recently, in fact they were laying near the RP male while he was still alive, which caused some confusion. In those photos with the Birminghams and the RP male, the white male did not yet have that bite to his face, which means if it was the RP male who delivered that bite, then he remained a danger to the end. So, it would make sense to leave a male lion alone, once he no longer poses a threat, would seem the prudent thing to do I think.

If the Matshipiri male laid in the same spot for days, then I'd have to think his injuries were far more than a broken leg. We have seen lions get up and move on broken/dislocated legs before, and look at what Dark Mane endured, his ribs were completely crush, you could see the bubbles from his lungs expanding, and he continued to move. Dark Mane was possibly the worst injuries I have seen a lion walking with. Even the 5th Majin actually stood up on his own, after he was mauled by Mr T and KT, the drive and will to survive in these creatures is unsurpassed.

Perhaps someone with more direct information on this knows more.
RIP to Dark Mane mannn. He was the first lion I remember forming a connection with after researching lions, Mapogos I had knew previously but it was thru the documentary. Saddened me that the year I discovered him was the same year he ended up passing away, luckily left offspring I can continue to follow. Special, special lion.
4 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 I was already a little bit surprised PCM chased them last month, I don't think S8 has any chance. Maybe BDM have a chance but I'll be surprised if they do... Maybe if the sister runs it'll trigger the others to run too idk.

But they have been roaring and scent-marking now, 3 are over 5yo, it won't be easy, technically nothing can stop them and lions don't turn 5 without getting ready, best hope for S8 and BDM is for Kambulas to change direction which is completely possible, and move west or south.

I think young lions usually challenge the weakest males around and takeover the easiest territory, like Selatis targeting old Mapogos instead of Majingis or Matimbas, so technically S8 and BDM would be on the Kambula's radar, though I find these areas so close to their natal pride and throughout their nomadhood they had spent a lot of time in Londolozi, Singita and Western Sector, that I still feel they'll probably go for the PCM.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Skorro breakaway male:

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

All these 4 KYMs lasted this far, they should push out any two lion coalition in future. Can they push out BDMs right now? I won't believe that until I see that unfold.

(10-06-2023, 05:35 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 I was already a little bit surprised PCM chased them last month, I don't think S8 has any chance. Maybe BDM have a chance but I'll be surprised if they do... Maybe if the sister runs it'll trigger the others to run too idk.

But they have been roaring and scent-marking now, 3 are over 5yo, it won't be easy, technically nothing can stop them and lions don't turn 5 without getting ready, best hope for S8 and BDM is for Kambulas to change direction which is completely possible, and move west or south.

I think young lions usually challenge the weakest males around and takeover the easiest territory, like Selatis targeting old Mapogos instead of Majingis or Matimbas, so technically S8 and BDM would be on the Kambula's radar, though I find these areas so close to their natal pride and throughout their nomadhood they had spent a lot of time in Londolozi, Singita and Western Sector, that I still feel they'll probably go for the PCM.
Just curious why are u surprised the PCMs chased them, I get the Kambula YMs are 5 now but they haven’t had any territorial disputes, I doubt any takeover from them will be quick. In terms of the PCMs I view them as a younger version of the S Avocas, key difference is that all their territory is in Sabi Sands, the only way Kambula YMs oust them is most likely by killing one or both of them. Ur right their sheer size both as a coalition and even their physical appearance is something that needs to be respected but they have as much experience as the Talamati YMs, even the Nkuhuma YMs despite being older. In response to the second part, S8 could actually be in the best position with the Talamati breakaways only having one adult female left, doubt Kambula YMs would focus on that pride.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-05-2023, 11:32 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tylermartin! 

The one who was with Tsalala is the old female with a new cub, she's also the mother of K1, K4 and the Mangheni male seen a few months ago.

The mother of OM's daughter was the one who died last year.

The first to die was the one who tried to raise the 12 Mangheni subs.

This is correct. I echo all of this
3 users Like criollo2mil's post