There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its always intense to see this. These are tourists afteral and there would have been no shame in driving off. But atleast they did film it for us to study. So cudos to that. 

Its interesting the two stood there next to each other for a while. So the male was clearly pondering the situation and trying to make up its mind. 
I don't believe there is a instinctual drive to kill cubs to get lionesses into estrus. If that was the case, the cub would have been death much sooner. 
But they are so low on the things a lion should not kill list. It would just take the slightest provocation to be put on the things a lion should kill list. In this case I think it was just a short glance of eye contact it seems. 
But it could just as easily been a weird sound or a wrong move from the mother. 

In a perfect scenario. The male could have lost interest and spared the cub. But even then, it would likely be a postponement of execution.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-19-2023, 03:08 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I don't believe there is a instinctual drive to kill cubs to get lionesses into estrus. If that was the case, the cub would have been death much sooner. 

Its definetly natural instincts, at that point there was 0% chance he would spare the cub.

Why he didnt kill him immidiately, idk, like he was observing surroundings for a bit, but he got the cub, killing him now or 15 sec later, makes no difference.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

Still. Why wait and ponder about it if its a purely instinctual reaction? Especially with the mother still around to intervene. 
There have also been cases where the time was a lot longer than 15 seconds.

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Southern Pride killed a female this morning
by Laura Jane Adams

5 users Like Tonpa's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(09-19-2023, 04:21 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Southern Pride killed a female this morning
by Laura Jane Adams

This is heartbreaking. the Atyx have had such a bad last 12 months. Going from 3 lionesses to only one now. Those N’waswitshaka females are now critical for the long term viability of the Pride.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-19-2023, 04:35 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-19-2023, 04:28 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: This is heartbreaking.    the Atyx have had such a bad last 12 months.    Going from 3 lionesses to only one now.    Those N’waswitshaka females are now critical for the long term viability of the Pride.

Are we sure its from Styx pride??

Holy, southern Sabi Sands is warzone atm.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(09-19-2023, 04:34 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-19-2023, 04:28 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: This is heartbreaking.    the Atyx have had such a bad last 12 months.    Going from 3 lionesses to only one now.    Those N’waswitshaka females are now critical for the long term viability of the Pride.

Are we sure its from Styx pride??

Holy, southern Sabi Sands is warzone atm.

The dead female is seen in the videos. Not sure if you can get a good look ?
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-19-2023, 04:44 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The dead female is seen in the videos.   Not sure if you can get a good look ?

I see, its hard to ID.

This was filmed by the same people who filmed Nkhulu killing SR pride, what a safari vacation they had a?

So it could be one of SR adult females aswell, as they where in the area.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

SP adult female after the fight where they killed a rival pride female (still unknown is it from Styx or SR):

Photo credits: laura_jane_adams

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

Perhaps the arrival of the Nkhulus scattered the pride and one of the lionesses ended up there?
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

by Laura Jane Adams

Hectic. The lion dynamics in Southern SS have intensified so much in such a short space of time.
4 users Like Rabubi's post

United Kingdom Cath2020 Offline

(09-19-2023, 12:51 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 09:05 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: I think it was a male sub they ate and killed....as well as one of the older Rollercoaster Daughters.

There is no RC daughters, 2 oldest females are sired by Toulons.

I think its still unknown which of the 4 (5, as 2019 female is pretty much adult now at 4 yrs of age) adult females where killed.

Here is the latest sighting of SR subs near Skukuza 1 month ago :

I counted 10 members, including the small cub which was now killed (poor thing couldnt outrun them i guess).

Looks like no adult female with them.

So there should be 9 remaining subs, of which i definetly see 2 males (closest to the camera).

Majority of them are over 2 yrs old, so if they can avoid Nkulus, they could reach maturity, but more loses are prob inevitable.

This is very similar to 2019 S.Avocas takeover, 8-10 Mantimahle sired subs become nomadic at around same age, only 2 females succeeded (well, 2 males aswell, but they disappeared in Kruger at the age of 4).

My bad.  I was confusing them with another pride... They are sired by the Toulons, while the one sired by the Rollarcoaster males was one of the Styx lionesses.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Nkhulu, Southern pride and PC boys

2 users Like afortich's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-19-2023, 08:38 PM by Mdz123 )

by Laura Jane Adams

So sad to hear this, loooks like Styx pride is down to 1 adult now. If the remaining female can keep the remaining subs alive for a year or so, however, we will witness a baby boom with whoever takes over.
4 users Like Mdz123's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-19-2023, 08:38 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: So sad to hear this, loooks like Styx pride is down to 1 adult now. If the remaining female can keep the remaining subs alive for a year or so, however, we will witness a baby boom with whoever takes over.

Who confirmed that it was Styx?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post