There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(08-16-2023, 03:12 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 03:04 PM)Horizon Wrote: Seems so. It has to come to an end at a certain point. But incredible he managed to be a force this long.

As far as i understand, this happened as S8 tried to overtake their carcass.

This is not a takeover attempt of S8's territory by BDM's, for now.

Where this happened is somewhat of border between these 2 parties.

Yes, I realize this is not a takeover attempt but first time I have seen S8 pushed like that. First time shown a sign of weakness in SS.
1 user Likes Horizon's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-16-2023, 03:58 PM)Horizon Wrote: Yes, I realize this is not a takeover attempt but first time I have seen S8 pushed like that. First time shown a sign of weakness in SS.

I dont think its a sign of weakness, when 2 adult males (BDM's will be 6 in few months) run at you, there is nothing you can do, yet run to save your life.

Solo males play "intimidation card" when dealing with these kind of situations against multiple opponents.

They will try to appear confident, they roar, scent mark, they will charge and chase them, trying to show their opponenents that they are "boss" here, in hope that these things will be enough for their opponents to give up and run away.

But, when opponents "figure" things out, become old and confident enough, they will not get "bluffed" anymore, and tides turn.

When this happens, there is nothing anymore for solo male to do.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 06:00 PM by Tr1x24 )

Madness this morning on Chitwa :

S8 and Talamati breakaways come down south at Chitwa airstrip (out of their territory) and discovered BDM's on a kill, Talamatis tried to join, but BDMs where not having any of it, chaos erupted and 1 BDM gave chase for Talamati breakaways, then S8 came in after that BDM who was chasing his pride, but his brother at carcass saw S8 and went after him, chasing him.

Hyenas took a kill, but BDM's returned and attacked hyena.

Then another suprise, S8 was alone returning and roaring towards 2 BDM's (at this point he knows they are 2) but intimidation didnt work and he have to retreat as BDM's started chase.
9 users Like Tr1x24's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(07-30-2023, 09:17 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Male next to Ubuso is Light Maned Gijima, not 3rd.

3rd male was very skittish, there is 0 photos of him in Sabi Sands.

My opinion is that he got spooked by Ndhzengas, run away and never come back to search for his partners.

They might not be partners for long, so bond might not be there for 3rd to be attached to other 2.

I dont think he was killed by Ndhzengas.

(08-16-2023, 04:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 03:58 PM)Horizon Wrote: Yes, I realize this is not a takeover attempt but first time I have seen S8 pushed like that. First time shown a sign of weakness in SS.

I dont think its a sign of weakness, when 2 adult males (BDM's will be 6 in few months) run at you, there is nothing you can do, yet run to save your life.

Solo males play "intimidation card" when dealing with these kind of situations against multiple opponents.

They will try to appear confident, they roar, scent mark, they will charge and chase them, trying to show their opponenents that they are "boss" here, in hope that these things will be enough for their opponents to give up and run away.

But, when opponents "figure" things out, become old and confident enough, they will not get "bluffed" anymore, and tides turn.

When this happens, there is nothing anymore for solo male to do.

So you are saying being a solo male,he always carried a weakness. I am not disagreeing with that. Saying he displayed weakness for the first time. Whether its due to the lack of a strong opposition or something else, he never found the need to run like this in recent years. And a lot of times, this kind of running by a territorial male will turn out to be a sign of things to come.
2 users Like Horizon's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 06:15 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-16-2023, 05:48 PM)Horizon Wrote: So you are saying being a solo male,he always carried a weakness. I am not disagreeing with that. Saying he displayed weakness for the first time. Whether its due to the lack of a strong opposition or something else, he never found the need to run like this in recent years. And a lot of times, this kind of running by a territorial male will turn out to be a sign of things to come.

Its a numbers game, there is no other lion who would do better here then S8, so yea, his weakness is that he is alone.

Regardless, this happened at Chitwa airstrip, which is BDM's territory and Nkuhumas area, even guides where suprised seeing them this far south.

S8 retreated north to his territory, BDMs defended their territory, they didnt invade S8, nor they are showing interest to do so for what we see.

So i wouldnt look much into this, not as S8 showing weakness.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Orange eyes BDM attacking hyena, she was lucky to survive:

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-16-2023, 03:01 PM)Horizon Wrote:
(07-30-2023, 09:17 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Male next to Ubuso is Light Maned Gijima, not 3rd.

3rd male was very skittish, there is 0 photos of him in Sabi Sands.

My opinion is that he got spooked by Ndhzengas, run away and never come back to search for his partners.

They might not be partners for long, so bond might not be there for 3rd to be attached to other 2.

I dont think he was killed by Ndhzengas.

(08-16-2023, 02:01 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 01:18 PM)Horizon Wrote: Chased away by BDMs?

Yes.   Here’s some footage of the chase

Edit:  doesn’t seem the twitter is working too good so you’ll have to copy link.   I will post the Imgur link later when I am at a computer since I cannot do so off my phone.  

[tweet]https://x.com/lionlovers5/status/1691726703834406926?s=46&t=KAfvBN8djtu5UJcssOPOoQ[/tweet]

criollo2mil, Thank you.

First sign of S8's weakness. Or I missed anything else that occurred before? (I know there was a report once that DM and his sons attacked him. Could be true but that was an undetailed report with no evidence).

Ha, yeah, that time DM and his sons attacked him, reports were saying he was finished, appeared to have a broken jaw, with blood coming from his mouth. Few hours later we see him without a mark. That was a strange incident for sure. He needs to stay safe, too many cubs now, and only one female left to help protect them.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 07:31 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-16-2023, 07:05 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Ha, yeah, that time DM and his sons attacked him, reports were saying he was finished, appeared to have a broken jaw, with blood coming from his mouth. Few hours later we see him without a mark. That was a strange incident for sure. He needs to stay safe, too many cubs now, and only one female left to help protect them.

That was prob a guess, nobody saw what happened or who fighted who, it was more likely that S8 found and attacked Talamatis over a kill and scrap happened. Talamati young males are still running from territorial males to this day, so i doubt they had courage to attack territorial male 1 year ago.

Kambula young males where also in the area and seen near Talamatis next day.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-16-2023, 05:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Madness this morning on Chitwa :

S8 and Talamati breakaways come down south at Chitwa airstrip (out of their territory) and discovered BDM's on a kill, Talamatis tried to join, but BDMs where not having any of it, chaos erupted and 1 BDM gave chase for Talamati breakaways, then S8 came in after that BDM who was chasing his pride, but his brother at carcass saw S8 and went after him, chasing him.

Hyenas took a kill, but BDM's returned and attacked hyena.

Then another suprise, S8 was alone returning and roaring towards 2 BDM's (at this point he knows they are 2) but intimidation didnt work and he have to retreat as BDM's started chase.

That young Talamati just learned a valuable lesson, without suffering any injuries, walking up on those two boys like that. Wow, what an absolutely incredible, and chaotic, morning they all had.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Shorter recap:

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-16-2023, 07:52 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Shorter recap:

I'm still watching the long video, man so much chaos, then suddenly Chela is the only one on that carcass. BDMs had it all to themselves, and now that it is near gone, suddenly everyone wants some of that hippo. Is Chela the only lioness with the BDMs, or are other Nkuhumas with them too?
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-16-2023, 08:07 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Is Chela the only lioness with the BDMs, or are other Nkuhumas with them too?

Only Chela hangs with them, and apperantly is pregnant.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-16-2023, 08:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 08:07 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Is Chela the only lioness with the BDMs, or are other Nkuhumas with them too?

Only Chela hangs with them, and apperantly is pregnant.

Got it, thank you my friend! That may make any regrouping with the Nkuhumas difficult. Not because they won't accept her back, but because she is pregnant and may not let them come around.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Another video of the BDM attacking the hyena in addition @Tr1x24 

4 users Like afortich's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Black Dam boys chasing the S8/Imbali in addition to @Tr1x24 and @Tonpa 

7 users Like afortich's post