There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(04-06-2022, 04:37 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 01:39 AM)Mabingilane Wrote: Do any of you fellow lion enthusiasts remember when the styx pride cubs from 2016 died? Leaving one styx male. The remaining cubs were born in early 2017... that is when the current Styx young female was born, correct? 

Can someone help me to clarify this please?

Current Styx Lionesses were born as follows:
  • Styx Pride three adult females
    • The oldest born in 2008 (Rollercoaster Daughter)
    • the Second-Oldest in 2011 (Majingiliane Daughter)
    • the youngest in late 2016. (Birmingham Daughter)

Seems like this might be the last litter for the eldest one.
2 users Like DARK MANE's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Speaking of these elderly daughters, and while understanding there are no known sons of the Mapogos who still exist today, do we know of any of their daughters who still are?

United States sik94 Online
Sikander Hayat

(04-06-2022, 06:27 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Speaking of these elderly daughters, and while understanding there are no known sons of the Mapogos who still exist today, do we know of any of their daughters who still are?

A couple of the older Mhangeni females and probably one of the Ottawa females.
1 user Likes sik94's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(04-06-2022, 06:27 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Speaking of these elderly daughters, and while understanding there are no known sons of the Mapogos who still exist today, do we know of any of their daughters who still are?

The Three Eldest Mhangeni lionesses and the Two Othowas matriarchs are Mapogo daughters still alive today.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

Thank you @criollo2mil

May i ask you where u got the Late 2016 date from please? 

I was under the impression that all the 2016 cubs died from mange apart from one or two. Styx male. 

In April 2017, there were only two remaining cubs left from the 2016 litter still alive. 

One lioness gave birth again in Jan 2017 of 4 cubs (3F1M) and a few months later another female gave birth again to 4 cubs. 

In the end, the only survivors of b boys offspring from all 3 litters were the two styx females (one died last year) and one styx male (died last year). This just leaves one current styx young female.
2 users Like Mabingilane's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(04-06-2022, 12:19 PM)Mabingilane Wrote: Thank you @criollo2mil

May i ask you where u got the Late 2016 date from please? 

I was under the impression that all the 2016 cubs died from mange apart from one or two. Styx male. 

In April 2017, there were only two remaining cubs left from the 2016 litter still alive. 

One lioness gave birth again in Jan 2017 of 4 cubs (3F1M) and a few months later another female gave birth again to 4 cubs. 

In the end, the only survivors of b boys offspring from all 3 litters were the two styx females (one died last year) and one styx male (died last year). This just leaves one current styx young female.

It’s all over my notes.   These are a hybrid of several sources.   I dont have them indexed by source however.  Sad
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

(04-06-2022, 04:26 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: It’s all over my notes.   These are a hybrid of several sources.   I dont have them indexed by source however.
I am truly grateful. Thank you! 
Either way, its only a difference of 3 Months so no biggie. 

On another note, i just saw Othawa Male's daughter stick her entire head into a carcass.
1 user Likes Mabingilane's post

12 users Like Mabingilane's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

(04-06-2022, 04:38 PM)Mabingilane Wrote:

We can see the abundant feces released by the bovine.
1 user Likes Gabriele's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-06-2022, 07:22 AM)sik94 Wrote:

A couple of the older Mhangeni females and probably one of the Ottawa females.

(04-06-2022, 08:09 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:

The Three Eldest Mhangeni lionesses and the Two Othowas matriarchs are Mapogo daughters still alive today.

Thank you both for the assist!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

1/2 oldest Kambula young male who is hanging around Sabi Sabi and near Southern Pride recently, looks like he found some pride members, he was seen with youngest Kambula subadult female, other few members are also prob in the area :

Photo credits : Sabi Sabi 

*This image is copyright of its original author

With N'ws moving closer to central Sabi Sands, theres a lot of lions now moving south, such as Mhangenis and gruops of Kambulas subadults, new males are also in this area.
11 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 08:02 PM by Tr1x24 )

Avocas and Nkuhumas with cubs, 1 subadult male also with them, so 2 Nkuhuma gruops are still hanging together occasionaly :

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

3 New males from Sabi Sands, in Kruger, late 2021:

Photo Credits : Kruger Gateway Safaris

This oldest male will be beautiful specimen when he reaches his prime years. 

I dont want them to fight with N'ws, but I hope they stay around Sabi Sands, theres plenty of room for them around Lion Sands for now.
12 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

A very impressive member of the Mhangene Pride.

This female is exceptionally large and powerful for her age, being the youngest adult of the pride she is often the first lion to instigate a hunt or chase. All in all, always an exciting one to watch.

7 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Should be entering sexual maturity any day now ey?
2 users Like Tonpa's post