There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2021, 02:57 AM by Duco Ndona )

Now the Nwashakas are considering the Kambulas a rich source for mating. They will continue to come back there. Even if they never take over, for a lone male that is just too much risk to stick around. And be it death or fleeing, Nhenha wont be around much longer.

His sons are not going to accept him just because he is their father. 
They are grown up now. Every adult has strong bond with their cubs. But those bonds are very different than those between coalition partners. 
So he needs to stay with them to bond and pretty much beg to be allowed to join them. Show them that he has anything to add to them beyond just another mouth to feed or a rival in mating.
Just like any lion needs to do that desires to join a coalition.

Yet in recent sightings he is seen mostly alone. 

I know everyone likes to match up lions to create happy endings for them. But in reality its just not as simple. Most pairings that aren't littermates split apart after a few days.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-19-2021, 01:59 AM)Chris Wrote: I did not understand your point. The Birminghams are not nomadic yet. The Kambula pride is divided at the moment. But you can see Nhena bonding with his sons which is an indicator that he knows it’s only a matter of time when they will be pushed out and may very well form a coalition with his sons.

Nhenha is already pushed out of his territory around Rattray's /Airstrip at MalaMala.. He was not seen in that area since N'ws came there 1 month ago..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

New Londolozi Virtual Safari:

The segment and Footage of Nhenha is @ 8:25 

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

Musa15 Offline

All the male coalitions I grew up following have passed. Nhenha is the last of that specific era for me, I hope to see him survive for some time as a nomad before his time comes.

In a way I think we never really got to see the full potential of the deadliness of the Birmingham males. IMO in their primes they were amongst some of the most formidable male lions we've ever seen and would have a shot against any of the greats. I expected their demise to be after grueling battles but instead they went out one by one by unfortunate incidents, some unknown.
3 users Like Musa15's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

This ain't boxing man, they're just animals trying to survive lol
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Musa15 Offline

Fighting is part of their survival. Some coalitions are willing to do it more than others, in fact that's one of the interesting thing about Lions, each have unique characters and aren't robots behaving in one line of thinking like some people believe.
3 users Like Musa15's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-20-2021, 06:26 AM by Mdz123 )

Throwback to 3 old Birmingham males. Not only did they sire the current Birmingham Boys, they also are grandfathers to Tumbela males through Nharu pride. They sure have a huge bloodline!
Credits: Keith Connelly and Dries Jordaan

6 users Like Mdz123's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

(12-20-2021, 03:09 AM)Musa15 Wrote: All the male coalitions I grew up following have passed. Nhenha is the last of that specific era for me, I hope to see him survive for some time as a nomad before his time comes.

In a way I think we never really got to see the full potential of the deadliness of the Birmingham males. IMO in their primes they were amongst some of the most formidable male lions we've ever seen and would have a shot against any of the greats. I expected their demise to be after grueling battles but instead they went out one by one by unfortunate incidents, some unknown.

I feel going out this way is the mark of a truly successful and dominant coalition. Not defeated in battle by rivals but worn down by the ravages of Father Time and Mother Nature. Sort of how the Majingilanes went out.
7 users Like sundarbans's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-23-2021, 10:13 PM by Potato )

A tribute to Tinyo and the Birmingham Male Lions

8 users Like Potato's post

WildRev Offline

Nhenha with the subadults
9 users Like WildRev's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-24-2021, 05:27 PM)WildRev Wrote: Nhenha with the subadults

Its nice seeing him spending time and trying to bond with his sons, which will help him as he gets old. He could also form a coalition with his sons in case he gets ousted like the Notches or old LubyeLubye males
2 users Like Mdz123's post

1ofCourage Offline

(12-20-2021, 06:26 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Throwback to 3 old Birmingham males. Not only did they sire the current Birmingham Boys, they also are grandfathers to Tumbela males through Nharu pride. They sure have a huge bloodline!
Credits: Keith Connelly and Dries Jordaan

Tinyo was the spitting image of his father.
6 users Like 1ofCourage's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 07:20 AM by T I N O Edit Reason: Link fixed )

Nhenha in Londolozi 

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
8 users Like criollo2mil's post

1ofCourage Offline

(12-25-2021, 05:50 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Nhenha in Londolozi 

[insta]https://www.instagram.com/anzhelika_linina/reel/CX1YZJtp-f1/?utm_medium=copy_link[/insta]

I hope he runs into his daughter, the Tsalala lioness.  She needs to see a friendly, familiar face.
1 user Likes 1ofCourage's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-25-2021, 05:50 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Nhenha in Londolozi 

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

Looking in top condition!! Link fixed Frank, my friend.
5 users Like T I N O's post