There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The two Southern Avoca males at Lion Sands Game Reserve
Photo credit: Mitch Bloem

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like T I N O's post

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(11-20-2021, 03:11 PM)lionuk Wrote: Dunno where her daughter is. PC males are proving to be brutes, killing subadult females in SS..

the lioness Tsalala did not deserve this. I hope her daughter is well and she manages to rebuild Tsalala's legendary pride.
4 users Like Calvitoo's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(11-20-2021, 06:55 PM)Calvitoo Wrote:
(11-20-2021, 03:11 PM)lionuk Wrote: Dunno where her daughter is. PC males are proving to be brutes, killing subadult females in SS..

the lioness Tsalala did not deserve this. I hope her daughter is well and she manages to rebuild Tsalala's legendary pride.

It is likely that her daughter ran away while the lioness was being caught. But without her mom, she is still too young to survive on her own (2.5 years old). However nothing is certain as she could do what the Othawa subadults did and hunt by herself.
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(11-20-2021, 07:31 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:

It is likely that her daughter ran away while the lioness was being caught. But without her mom, she is still too young to survive on her own (2.5 years old). However nothing is certain as she could do what the Othawa subadults did and hunt by herself.
Sure she will, but she must stay away from the PC who are becoming a serious threat to the lionesses and sub-adults of the pride in the area, someone has to put the PC in order.
1 user Likes Calvitoo's post

United States Peteporker Offline

(11-20-2021, 07:44 PM)Calvitoo Wrote:

Sure she will, but she must stay away from the PC who are becoming a serious threat to the lionesses and sub-adults of the pride in the area, someone has to put the PC in order.

Heart breaking to have to read this news if this is true. Wasn't the Tsalala lioness also heavily pregnant? This pride was and could have been on the verge rebuilding.
3 users Like Peteporker's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Tumbela males are the only threat to PC males. Mangheni pride are tough as well, as shown by the killing of Styx young male.
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(11-20-2021, 07:59 PM)Peteporker Wrote:

Heart breaking to have to read this news if this is true. Wasn't the Tsalala lioness also heavily pregnant? This pride was and could have been on the verge rebuilding.
Yes, but there may still be a possibility if the daughter is alive and manages to survive to adulthood, she could still rebuild her pride.

Spain Calvitoo Offline

(11-20-2021, 08:05 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:

Tumbela males are the only threat to PC males. Mangheni pride are tough as well, as shown by the killing of Styx young male.
Yes, but if they are given the opportunity they can do it again. I think Avocas and BBoys are also a threat to PC.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Quite an interesting streak of killing females from these boys ey? Nkuhuma female, Ximhungwe female(maybe) and now Tsalala female
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Tsalala young female alone in londolozi today, check out their IG story 

10 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 09:08 PM by Cath2020 )

(11-20-2021, 08:39 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Tsalala young female alone in londolozi today, check out their IG story 

Poor Tsalala princess.  She'll be too young to breed for the next 1-1.5 years at least... She'll have all that time utterly alone, if she can even make it.  What a blow to the Tsalala Pride!  She lost her mom and a soon-to-be litter of 1/2 siblings all in one horrible attack.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

( This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 09:13 PM by Cath2020 )

(11-20-2021, 08:05 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:

It's never been proven what killed the Styx Male.  It's more than likely an unfortunate hyena encounter judging by the bite area.  Plus, looking at the history of deaths in the past, there have been confirmed killings of lions by hyenas in SS, such as with the unfortunate Othawa Pride, losing 2 lions to hyena attacks.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

(11-20-2021, 08:14 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Quite an interesting streak of killing females from these boys ey? Nkuhuma female, Ximhungwe female(maybe) and now Tsalala female

They could be very frustrated males, being thwarted by larger, more mature coalitions around them for the time being.   They are roaming around with an abundance of testosterone, yet not able to secure a pride.  I'm worried that if they return back to try and take the Mangheni Pride, they will definitely try to kill the younger two lionesses by the OM.  This pride will have to be constantly on its guard.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Poor lioness. I always cannot help but root for those "Leopard Lionesses" and everything did seem to go well for her. 

It seems she suffered a series of bites to the back of her neck and was then disembowelled. But whatever did this was spooked off before getting to eat properly.
I don't think that is typical lion behavoir, but perhaps someone with a better idea of how the various animals in Sabi kill and eat can shed some lights on this. 

Singita and the areas around it already are "cursed" lands even without the PC males being around. The Mhangeni 12, Big Boy, Ximhungwe cub and pride in general, Sym, the young male that accompanied Gingerella. Various Mhangeni cubs and now the Tsalala female. Lions just seem to die or disapear there a lot in general so I don't think we can just attribute everything to the PC males. Its just a very hostile area it seems for various reasons. With some luck we get a better idea which of those reasons played a role in next couple of days. 

However, if the PC males are involved in those recent deaths. We likely havent seen the last of the kills. Nym and the Mhangeni should be on their guard. As should be the Avocas and their prides. 

Lets hope her cub will have better luck. She has been raised as a nomad, so will understand this life far better than a young pridecub of her age does. In an ideal world, she joins Gingerella and/or Ximhungwe lionesses. But thats very unlikely.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Kruger males in his prime at Hoyo Hoyo Safari Lodge in 2017
Photo credits: Hoyo Hoyo SL

8 users Like T I N O's post