There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

I have received a message from Diffmarimane and, according to him, all of the 6 cubs are alive. His exact words:

"Nope all 6 are alive. I saw them today. As for Auntie Othawa, she's not doing too bad- nothing broken. She should be okay soon. "
8 users Like lionuk's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Good stuff good stuff
6 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Two more Kambula cubs born

10 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

A beautiful sighting of Othawa lionesses, except Auntie Othawa, with 6 cubs feasting a warthog kill. According to Diffmarimane, Auntie is able to walk slowly, recovering. 

6 users Like lionuk's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

She is clearly not able to hunt in that condition. Though with some luck she can keep up with the pride.

Is there some information regarding how far apart the two are at the moment?
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Contributor

One of the Tsalala females, an older female. 

4 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Plains Camp males with Kambula pride

8 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The oldest Othawa boy Junior at Elephant Point area, KNP.
Photo credits: Brandon Bouwer

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like T I N O's post

Venezuela titose Offline

•New Blood - The huge Plains Camp young males•

"Lion dynamics on MalaMala and the surrounding area as a whole are shifting. This is primarily attributed to the ageing of the dominant coalition of the Gowrie males who dominated for so long.
The two Plains Camp males are a young coalition that has started to show intend in securing territory of their own. They aren't new to MalaMala or the banks of the Sand River. They first showed up at the beginning of 2020 when they were spending time along the banks of the Sand River in Charleston.
Will these two males be the next dominant coalition along the Sand River? Time will tell..."
#SabiSands #MalaMala #PalinCampMales
By Gareth Nuttall-Smith

8 users Like titose's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-04-2021, 05:20 PM)titose Wrote: •New Blood - The huge Plains Camp young males•

"Lion dynamics on MalaMala and the surrounding area as a whole are shifting. This is primarily attributed to the ageing of the dominant coalition of the Gowrie males who dominated for so long.
The two Plains Camp males are a young coalition that has started to show intend in securing territory of their own. They aren't new to MalaMala or the banks of the Sand River. They first showed up at the beginning of 2020 when they were spending time along the banks of the Sand River in Charleston.
Will these two males be the next dominant coalition along the Sand River? Time will tell..."
By Gareth Nuttall-Smith

They're growing quickly. Mantimahle blood does run in these boys
5 users Like T I N O's post

Venezuela titose Offline

(08-04-2021, 05:23 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 05:20 PM)titose Wrote: •New Blood - The huge Plains Camp young males•

By Gareth Nuttall-Smith

They're growing quickly. Mantimahle blood does run in these boys

If all goes well with these guys I think they will be the biggest males at Sabi Sands, the bloodline of the old Mazithi males runs strong in the veins of these guys!
4 users Like titose's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

That's for sure. the old Mazithi males have produced a lot of big and healthy males, it's weird that they didn't sired many females.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Contributor

(08-04-2021, 02:37 PM)lionuk Wrote: One of the Tsalala females, an older female. 

Note: Right at the top, you can see there's another lion. You can make out the ears and the fact that it's facing the other way. That's her daughter right there, so we know they are closely together. 
7 users Like lionuk's post

Contributor

Ubuso and Southern lioness. Lately Ubuso and Gore have been spending time with her and the cubs.
02/08/2021
Photo credit: Lumpp

6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Londolozi blog about Kambula subadults :

https://blog.londolozi.com/2021/08/04/wh...ub-adults/
5 users Like Tr1x24's post