There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

We could use a livestream right about now MalaMala lol
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

Haha yeah. 

I wish these images were dated too.  If Tinyo was there a while ago it doesn’t matter that much... but if he’s in Tenigle now...that right in the heart of Southern Avoca territory!
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Contributor

Random question, who ruled the Talamatis before the Avocas came?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2021, 05:17 AM by sik94 )

(05-02-2021, 04:33 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Random question, who ruled the Talamatis before the Avocas came?

Thanda Impi males, and the last two remaining Selaties before them.
2 users Like sik94's post

Gijima Offline

(05-02-2021, 05:17 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 04:33 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Random question, who ruled the Talamatis before the Avocas came?

Thanda Impi males, and the last two remaining Selaties before them.

Just the selati males. The Thandi Impi were never over the Talamatis. Basically the Selatis died out then Avocas came by a few months later.
6 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2021, 11:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

(05-02-2021, 07:47 AM)Psyckoo Wrote: So the N.Avoca put pressure on North and now maybe that S.Avoca will also react... It will be interesting to look if Bboys will fight for their pride if of course they are challenged because as for now Avoca just take territory...
Bboys seem to prefer diplomacy to war

Who said anything that S. Avoca will put pressure Bboys? S. Avocas where seen south in Kruger near Skukuza and on Plains Camp recently. 

Also from what i heard, Nwaswitshaka males where seen in southern MalaMala and northern Kirkmans Kamp recently, and that roar from BiggerManed male recently was prob responding to Nwaswitshakas roars in distance.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2021, 02:31 PM by Tonpa )

Marlon Du Toit is back in Sabi at MalaMala and took this video of Kambulas? on the move yesterday. No adult males in the video.

"Spent time with a big pride of lions yesterday @malamalagamereserve, on the move in response to other lions calling in the distance.
Lions are fiercely territorial & will waste no time in defending the core of their territory."

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

MalaMala said in the comments of their repost that the location was mamba waterhole, which is about 6km south of MalaMala Airstrip
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

"Wow, this is the new big boy on the block. This male lion from the, as we call them, Kruger boys coalition was with a Torchwood lioness in front of the lodge last night. It was such a thrilling sighting. they walked all the way from the Kruger National Park boundary to Nkorho Bush Lodge.

In the distance we could hear the brother of this boy roaring and SUDDENLY to our disbelief, both of the lions started roaring right next to the vehicle. This is one of the most special sightings because this particular boy has got quite a remarkable roar that does send SHIVERS DOWN YOUR SPINE!!" - Nkorho Bush Lodge

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Talamati & Nkuhuma update from Tristan

Nkuhumas are on MalaMala (except the denning lioness)
Talamatis travelled into Arathusa this morning or night before, they been moving around a lot recently, even going as far north as Main Dam in the Manyeleti where the Nharu Pride is.  
S8 Male was apparently following their tracks into sabi while vocalizing.
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

Lol finally .. updates!

Interesting times ahead. I was thinking if the Nkuhumas move south, the Talamatis could just shift into Arathusa and then everyone will have space. I wondering if a lot of these interactions just have to do with there not being space for everyone up north. 

I hope Dark Mane officially leaves at this point.... I hate to say it but he really doesn’t need to stay with this pride and trying to go for round 2 of cubs never works out. It’s better for him to move south and find the Nkuhumas or his brothers. Hopefully this gets him moving in the right direction.
4 users Like Gijima's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-02-2021, 08:55 PM)Gijima Wrote: Interesting times ahead. I was thinking if the Nkuhumas move south, the Talamatis could just shift into Arathusa and then everyone will have space. I wondering if a lot of these interactions just have to do with there not being space for everyone up north. 
Is you can see on this update Talamatis are moving on nearly entire northern Sabi Sands and further up to central Manyeleti. That is a huge arena which could probably fit 3 or so pride so definitelly more than enought for just Talamatis. Nkuchumas sfiht south is probably caused purely by Blondie and Mohawk Avoca shift to the south.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Contributor

Nkuhumas on a Buffalo Kill today in MalaMala
https://twitter.com/mala_mala/status/138...2460246020

Talamatis in Elephant Plains or surrounding areas
https://www.instagram.com/stories/10joss...904849945/
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

(05-02-2021, 09:56 PM)Potato Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 08:55 PM)Gijima Wrote: Interesting times ahead. I was thinking if the Nkuhumas move south, the Talamatis could just shift into Arathusa and then everyone will have space. I wondering if a lot of these interactions just have to do with there not being space for everyone up north. 
Is you can see on this update Talamatis are moving on nearly entire northern Sabi Sands and further up to central Manyeleti. That is a huge arena which could probably fit 3 or so pride so definitelly more than enought for just Talamatis. Nkuchumas sfiht south is probably caused purely by Blondie and Mohawk Avoca shift to the south.

They really shouldn’t be traveling that far. Imagine how Red Road would react if he saw a pride of 14 hanging out at main dam? I wonder if there is just a lack of big prey in their current core territory. I haven’t heard of them on a Buffalo kill in ages. Nkuhumas like you said are moving south because of Blondie/Mohawk so the Talamatis can shift west to avoid other males .. if they keep doing what they’re doing there’s at least three coalitions they’re coming up against which is not great for the sub adults.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-02-2021, 10:09 PM)Gijima Wrote: They really shouldn’t be traveling that far. Imagine how Red Road would react if he saw a pride of 14 hanging out at main dam? I wonder if there is just a lack of big prey in their current core territory. I haven’t heard of them on a Buffalo kill in ages. Nkuhumas like you said are moving south because of Blondie/Mohawk so the Talamatis can shift west to avoid other males .. if they keep doing what they’re doing there’s at least three coalitions they’re coming up against which is not great for the sub adults

Talamatis are surrounded by lone RRM, Imbali male and 2 Kruger males, thats not exactly danger for subadults if they encounter them, they can pretty much survive and take care of themselves now.. 

I think Talamati females are exploring future option, they will be (or already are) in estrus soon, so they are on search for males, and as it looks, DM wont be that male.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post