There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

239Pu Offline

Quote:The Blackdam Pride has been roaming over the western sections of the Greater Kruger Park in South-Africa for 20 years.
This video documents their recent history, since the takeover by the Giraffe Pride Male
2 users Like 239Pu's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-17-2020, 02:43 AM)239Pu Wrote:

Quote:The Blackdam Pride has been roaming over the western sections of the Greater Kruger Park in South-Africa for 20 years.
This video documents their recent history, since the takeover by the Giraffe Pride Male
A very well documented pride in the Greater Kruger.

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

The smaller Mbiri male seen recently in the Kruger National Park
Image by: Karolina Norée Wildlife

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The two impressive Monwana males at RockFig Safari Lodge

Some good news comes from Walkers River Camp. Last week they've updated that one of the Giraffe lionesses has suckled marks.

Image credits: Almero Klingenberg (Field Guide at RockFig Safari Lodge)

5 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Monwana males roarin

https://www.facebook.com/rockfigsafarilodge/videos/245003743655741
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Unbelievably this incredible shot features only HALF of the resident and mighty River pride! According to a local 4th generation landowner and guide, this 23-strong dynasty has ruled the same territory spanning the Klaserie river and Misava Safari Camp for as long as people have been here to document it - a staggering 90 years! Successive generations  have been through highs and lows but the core genetics remain. It is truly fascinating to understand the dynamics of these social creatures and a blessing to watch them right now as they flourish

3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Ross males

5 users Like Potato's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-17-2020, 08:14 PM)Potato Wrote: The two impressive Monwana males at RockFig Safari Lodge

Some good news comes from Walkers River Camp. Last week they've updated that one of the Giraffe lionesses has suckled marks.

Image credits: Almero Klingenberg (Field Guide at RockFig Safari Lodge)

What a strong duo they're going to be!
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-17-2020, 08:21 PM)Potato Wrote: Unbelievably this incredible shot features only HALF of the resident and mighty River pride! According to a local 4th generation landowner and guide, this 23-strong dynasty has ruled the same territory spanning the Klaserie river and Misava Safari Camp for as long as people have been here to document it - a staggering 90 years! Successive generations  have been through highs and lows but the core genetics remain. It is truly fascinating to understand the dynamics of these social creatures and a blessing to watch them right now as they flourish

Hosi and the River pride. The eldest sub-adults are 15 months old.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

The beautiful Monwana males busy surveying their territory from the top of a dam wall.
Captured by Field Guide @almero.klingenberg
3 users Like T I N O's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

A recent sighting of the last Ross lioness at Tanda Tula
Image credit: Chad Cocking

2 users Like T I N O's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

The larger Mbiri male with the Skorro pride and the seven cubs.
What a gorgeous specimen he is!
Image by: Juan Boshoff

4 users Like T I N O's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

A Timbavati update - Ross lioness - Nharhu Males - Monwana and Giraffe pride
Our lion sightings were relatively good this weekend, with the Nharhu males being particularly evident in the east this week. We mostly caught up with the two closely-knitted boys as the limping male was off with the River Pride to the north of the concession. However, when the pride did return late in the week, he re-joined his two partners as the females carried on south and settled in the area that we are increasingly suspecting one of them has given birth in.  Although we haven’t been able to confirm this by seeing suckle marks, the behaviour of the males, the pride and the presence of tracks for a single lioness moving in the area are causing us to think that it is more and more likely that she has given birth in the Machaton riverbed in the east. We will be sure to keep you posted on any updates should this be confirmed, and should the cubs show (although, this will only likely happen early in the new year).

The Ross lioness showed herself after a long absence, but her continued singledom seems certain proof that she is the sole surviving member of the once large pride.  She was looking in good shape for a lone lioness but didn’t get herself into my good books as it was her arrival on the scene that caused a pack of 20-odd wild dogs to run off and disappear as I was making my way towards the area one afternoon. That being said, it was a fair consolation prize to get to spend some time with the Ross female.  The Monwana males were seen a couple of times in the west, but one male looked to have quite a bad limp with his hip muscles looking very withered away.  That being said, Ginger didn’t seem him move, so we are only assuming he is struggling, but perhaps it was just the way he was lying.  Members of the Giraffe Pride were also reported in the area this week, but I didn’t venture west to see them.
5 users Like T I N O's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

Sadly she is the only remaining Ross lioness, the other female with cubs appears to have died during the year. She was some distance from the Nharhu males, but in an area they occasionally venture. She has been seen all the way up on Argyle this year too. And no, no more news on the two Timbavati lionesses, so not sure where they got to - likely in the not-often traversed eastern block of the north-eastern Timbavati
Information by Chad Cocking
4 users Like T I N O's post

Sweden T I N O Offline
Moderators

A very recent sighting of the three Machaton males
The three Machaton males are ageing but still a force to be reckoned with in the Balule area.
Image by: Tony Williamson

5 users Like T I N O's post