There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-05-2020, 09:26 PM)Potato Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 08:50 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 08:14 PM)Potato Wrote: Do you know how many of those young lionesses sired by Salatis there are in Talamati pride?

There are two old Talamati females (That once were part of the Nkuhuma pride) and three young lionesses sired by the Selati males

None from the generation sired by Matimba males?

No, Just three males, and just 1 has been seen recently
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-05-2020, 09:29 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 09:26 PM)Potato Wrote: None from the generation sired by Matimba males?

Lioness with blue eye is definitely not, she is older.. But idk about the 2nd one..

The 2nd lioness reminds me to Kinky Tail Mapogo. Her has a very similar stare, And structure physical.
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Close encounter with Avoca male lion
Photo credits: Tendai Moyo Photography - Africa Journey Nature Experience
Sabi Sands-12.05.20.

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 02:26 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-05-2020, 08:50 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: There are two old Talamati females (That once were part of the Nkuhuma pride) and three young lionesses sired by the Selati males

So younger ones definitely give birth, 2 lionesses cant have 9 cubs..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-06-2020, 02:26 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 08:50 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: There are two old Talamati females (That once were part of the Nkuhuma pride) and three young lionesses sired by the Selati males

They actually can, but it is rare to have 5 cubs. It is most likely 3 or 4 litters so there should be at least one female cubless. That is why I am a bit suprised on the information that there are 3 Salati daughters in the pride. I would expect them to be one or two and the rest sired by Matimbas and Nkuchumas. Where actually Tino did you get info that there are 3 females sired by Salatis? Are you 100% sure of those informations?
1 user Likes Potato's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 03:26 AM by Gijima )

The Talamatis originally had 10 (or more) cubs so I think only 1 lioness didn’t give birth. I have heard (but I have no proof of this) that the lioness that’s older but that looks “different” ( the one that looks like Kinky Tail) may be a Matimba daughter. 

The youngest Selati female on the left, born in 2016:

5 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 Sand River young males on H4-1, 1km east of Skukuza, they where without their sister, wonder if she returned to her natal pride, Kruger Sightings:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-06-2020, 03:13 AM)Gijima Wrote: The Talamatis originally had 10 (or more) cubs so I think only 1 lioness didn’t give birth. I have heard (but I have no proof of this) that the lioness that’s older but that looks “different” ( the one that looks like Kinky Tail) may be a Matimba daughter. 

The youngest Selati female on the left, born in 2016:

The Talamati pride had three lionesses and 7 cubs in 2010. 
They were found just outside Talamati 
Here a pic of Silver eye and 1 lioness,June 2010

T I N O Offline
Moderators

@Gijima  The Talamati lioness who look as KT in 2016.
Her doesn't look like a 4 years old lioness. Especially by some facts and features, The pigmentation of his nose is completely black
Photo by: Drew Abrahamson

T I N O Offline
Moderators

If I remember, The  Koppies female has sired 7 cubs,Then,Why not
1 user Likes T I N O's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-06-2020, 04:24 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

For some reason, perhaps the reasons explained above, I was of the impression that those 7 cubs were from both females. If they came from a single female, do we know if the one who was killed was the one that wasn't the mother of those cubs? If it was indeed their mother, then that incident had a much more profound affect than I had originally understood.

Gijima Offline

(12-06-2020, 04:22 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: @Gijima  The Talamati lioness who look as KT in 2016.
Her doesn't look like a 4 years old lioness. Especially by some facts and features, The pigmentation of his nose is completely black

Ok interesting... if she’s older than 10, she must have been one of the 2007 cubs that escaped the Mapogos, or born later in Manyeleti? I actually don’t know much about their history but I’m assuming since they were a Nkuhuma breakaway pride they would have been even further north than snaggletooth  nkuhuma and that core group.
3 users Like Gijima's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-06-2020, 05:01 AM)Gijima Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 04:22 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: @Gijima  The Talamati lioness who look as KT in 2016.

Ok interesting... if she’s older than 10, she must have been one of the 2007 cubs that escaped the Mapogos, or born later in Manyeleti? I actually don’t know much about their history but I’m assuming since they were a Nkuhuma breakaway pride they would have been even further north than snaggletooth  nkuhuma and that core group.
The Talamati pride it's a breakaway of the Nkuhuma pride in 2007.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-06-2020, 04:53 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 04:24 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

For some reason, perhaps the reasons explained above, I was of the impression that those 7 cubs were from both females. If they came from a single female, do we know if the one who was killed was the one that wasn't the mother of those cubs? If it was indeed their mother, then that incident had a much more profound affect than I had originally understood.

That's was quite interesting,However,I wonder why those 7 cubs were following all together to the same lioness.

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 06:26 AM by Gijima )

S. Avoca & Sand River Pride
Tegnile River Lodge
Credit: Casey korvaskey
Dec 2020

5 users Like Gijima's post