There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 11:12 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-21-2020, 10:22 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: 1 of the 2 Kruger males near Jones Dam a few years ago.
Now he's being seen more and more in the northern Sabi Sands with the Torchwood pride.
Only time will tell if they choose Sabi Sands as their main territory.

Its very likely that they or 1 of them is sired by Old Mazithi males, as they where dominant around that area at that time:

*This image is copyright of its original author

They are very similar, i think that might be his father..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 11:05 PM by T I N O )

(10-21-2020, 10:34 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 10:22 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: 1 of the 2 Kruger males near Jones Dam a few years ago.
Now he's being seen more and more in the northern Sabi Sands with the Torchwood pride.

Its very likely that they or 1 of them is sired by Old Mazithi males, as they where dominant around that area at that time:

They are very similar, im pretty sure thats his father..

Who knows. Still is hard to know who sired them.
I read on Facebook that could be sons of the Othawa/Robson males.
Anyway,At the moment doesn't exist any proof about it
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Hairy tummy Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 11:04 PM by Hairy tummy )

Wow, great work with the nose pigmentation piece tr1x24
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-21-2020, 09:41 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Nose pigmentation is the best way to determine lions age, althrough it can vary to some degree depended of individual,some may have darker earlier then others, but its roughly very similar..

So lets see with few examples of males with recent pictures, first 4 yrs old males :

(Styx, Nkuhuma,Torchwood males) 

Nose very pink, with very few black dots.. 

5 yrs old (estimated age of Nwaswitshakas) :

(Dominant, Belly Scar, Orange Eyes) 

More pigmentation then 4 yrs old males, Wide Nosed male has the most black nose of the 4,so he is prob the oldest of them..

Around 6 yrs old males :

(Othawa male, RRM) 

Much more black pigment.. 

7 yrs old is even more darker:

(Mohawk, Blondie, DM) 

8 yrs is pretty much similar as 7, but after that nose is pretty much all black:

(Nhenha and Tinyo at 10 yrs of age)

I think this is very informative so i made this, but lets now see the nose of that 1 Kruger male :

1 year ago, picture taken in mid 2019:

He has nose similar to Nwaswitshakas, i would say around 5 yrs old there.. Also his mane look very young, similar to Othawa male mane before and Nwaswitshakas manes now.. 

Recent :

Now, everybody has their opinions, but i think based of this, that this male is 6-6.5 yrs old now.. 

His partner looks to be older, prob 7-7.5 yrs old (much darker nose and mane).. 

This was very informative @Tr1x24 good stuff my friend, that took some effort, thank you!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

Image credits goes to his Original Author

He is clearly the youngest of the two, but he's in really good shape, to be sure. Hopefully we can get a positive ID soon.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

the Smudge-nosed male look like much mistreated than this boy... I'll say that probably is the most dominant or the less dominant and often is beaten by his brother.
Here is a photo of the Kruger males. I don't know if the one in front is the Smudge-nosed...  would be nice check their whiskers!

2 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 11:33 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-21-2020, 10:59 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Who knows. Still is hard to know who sired them.
I read on Facebook that could be sons of the Othawa/Robson males.
Anyway,At the moment doesn't exist any proof about it

Old Mazithi where dominant around Tshokwane/Mazithi Dam/Leeupan, while Robsons a bit south around Kruger Tablets/Jones Dam/Mantimahle Dam..

The Smudge male looks a bit like One Eye Robson Male :

But the male with scar on his ear dont looks similar to Robson males, yet to Old Mazithi male..

Kruger males dont look similar, and they are different ages it seems, so i think they are not brothers, yet partners or different litters..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-21-2020, 11:17 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: the Smudge-nosed male look like much mistreated than this boy... I'll say that probably is the most dominant or the less dominant and often is beaten by his brother.
Here is a photo of the Kruger males. I don't know if the one in front is the Smudge-nosed...  would be nice check their whiskers!

Where do you find this photos, nice work!

In which year was that?

Idk if that is smudge, he might be..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(10-21-2020, 11:17 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: the Smudge-nosed male look like much mistreated than this boy... I'll say that probably is the most dominant or the less dominant and often is beaten by his brother.

Once again Tino, you are providing really helpful information. This is some good work my friend!
2 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-21-2020, 11:56 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Once again Tino, you are providing really helpful information. This is some good work my friend!

Thanks for the kind words BA0701.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Throwback with Stompie from the Othawa/Robson coalition at Nhlunguleni Road, S36, Kruger National Park, South Africa
Image by: Roman Furrer

3 users Like T I N O's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-22-2020, 01:40 AM by BA0701 )

(10-22-2020, 01:10 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Throwback with Stompie from the Othawa/Robson coalition at Nhlunguleni Road, S36, Kruger National Park, South Africa

**EDIT**
Removing my incorrect comment, so as to not cause any confusion. The full comment can be seen in @"TinoArmando" reply, who so kindly corrected it.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-22-2020, 01:22 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 01:10 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Throwback with Stompie from the Othawa/Robson coalition at Nhlunguleni Road, S36, Kruger National Park, South Africa

My friend, were you previously aware that Makhulu had killed Stompie's partner Limper, after he and PB were driven out by the Selatis? I had read that the fight took place, but only recently found out he actually killed Limper. PB was injured in the initial skirmish, so Mak went on his own, tracked down Limper, and killed him. Big Mak cementing his legacy right to the very end. I posted the video that describes the incident in the Mapogos thread a few days ago.

Hey my friend. I think you are referring to the KNP males (Freddy and Limper)
Freddy and Limper were involved on a fight with the remaining Mapogo males when they became nomads after to be driven out by the Southern/Selati males...
During that fight Mak killed to Limper (Apparently It was on a 2v1...) I don't know if is true.
After of that fight both Mapogo were left for dead. not long after of those words the  2 Mapogo males reappeared again like kings!

Super Moderator

(10-22-2020, 01:33 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

My friend, were you previously aware that Makhulu had killed Stompie's partner Limper, after he and PB were driven out by the Selatis? I had read that the fight took place, but only recently found out he actually killed Limper. PB was injured in the initial skirmish, so Mak went on his own, tracked down Limper, and killed him. Big Mak cementing his legacy right to the very end. I posted the video that describes the incident in the Mapogos thread a few days ago.

Freddy and Limper were involved on a fight with the remaining Mapogo males when they became nomads after to be driven out by the Southern/Selati males...
During that fight Mak killed to Limper (Apparently It was on a 2v1...) I don't know if is true.
After of that fight both Mapogo were left for dead. not long after of those words the  2 Mapogo males reappeared again like kings!

Yes, you would be correct, it was indeed Freddy I was referring to. Thank you for clearing that up, and apologies for the mistake.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-22-2020, 01:35 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 01:33 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Yes, you would be correct, it was indeed Freddy I was referring to. Thank you for clearing that up, and apologies for the mistake.
No worries at all my friend.

Everyone make mistake :)