There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

Romania Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " It’s not often that I get to see things for the very first time out on safari. I’ve been in nature since I can remember and I’ve seen some incredible interactions.

This past week on safari @sabisabireserve gave me something I’ve never seen before.
A family of 5 cheetahs caught & killed a Duiker. It’s not common for 4 cheetah cubs to make it to adulthood in this area, it’s incredibly predator-dense and cheetahs generally don’t do well.
Soon after making the kill a pack of 10 African Wild Dogs appeared on the scene & harassed the cheetahs, an attempt to gain access to the carcass. I’ve not seen this before, interaction between these two rare & stunning predators!
The cheetahs eventually moved off one by one and the Wild Dogs wasted no time, they immediately moved in and finished what was left in a matter of seconds!
It was INCREDIBLE to witness this & no doubt something our guests loved to see!
Soon after the dogs drank from the pan infront of Earth Lodge, showed interest in a waterbuck & then moved on.
Love what I get to do!! "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-07-2020, 05:14 AM by Dark Jaguar )

124 kg Cotim male and Luciana female vs Giant Otters.

''We have been blessed with incredible jaguar sightings in recent weeks. This photo shows a male jaguar called Cotim (in front in the photo), a female jaguar called Luciana, and 2 giant otters (although there were actually 3 giant otters) swimming in the foreground. The giant otters aggressively confronted the jaguars, snorting and periscoping, with Cotim standing his ground and occasionally growling back. These two jaguars were mating around the time of this encounter. Although it is difficult to see in the photo, Cotim has a GPS collar - he is being monitored by a not-for-profit research organization called Projeto Onças do Rio Negro. ''

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-07-2020, 10:18 PM by Balam )

Tiger and boar die in a fight at Kaziranga:

Kaziranga, September 7: The world-famous Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve recently saw an unusual fight between a royal Bengal tiger and a wild boar. The fierce battle ended with the wild boar inflicting fatal injuries on the tiger. Both the animals died in the clash. Officials said that the first time they had witnessed a royal Bengal tiger dying fighting with a wild boar in Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve. 

"This happened for the first time in the history of Kaziranga that a royal Bengal tiger died fighting a wild boar. We have never been witness to such an incident," Kaziranga Research Officer Robin Sarmah was quoted by TOI as saying. The fight took place near Teteleguri anti-poaching camp in Kohora forest range. Officials found the carcasses of the two animals during patrolling on September 5.

"We got a foul smell from the Teteliguri highland area and started a search. Later, we found two carcasses of a Royal Bengal Tiger and a wild boar at the spot. Both carcasses have been decomposed and we believe the fight may have happened about 10 days ago," Kaziranga National Park Director P Shivakumar said.

According to Sarmah, the tiger sustained grievous injuries in its belly and the wild boar had multiple injury marks on its body. With this, Kaziranga National Park has so far lost three royal Bengal tigers this year. Besides, 18 rhinos and 135 wild animals were killed in flood.

Source

The image posted in the article is blurred so it's hard to see the details from the fight. I'm curious to read others' opinion on this article. Boar shouldn't be underestimated at all.
1 user Likes Balam's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-07-2020, 10:17 PM)Balam Wrote: Tiger and boar die in a fight at Kaziranga:

Kaziranga, September 7: The world-famous Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve recently saw an unusual fight between a royal Bengal tiger and a wild boar. The fierce battle ended with the wild boar inflicting fatal injuries on the tiger. Both the animals died in the clash. Officials said that the first time they had witnessed a royal Bengal tiger dying fighting with a wild boar in Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve. 

"This happened for the first time in the history of Kaziranga that a royal Bengal tiger died fighting a wild boar. We have never been witness to such an incident," Kaziranga Research Officer Robin Sarmah was quoted by TOI as saying. The fight took place near Teteleguri anti-poaching camp in Kohora forest range. Officials found the carcasses of the two animals during patrolling on September 5.

"We got a foul smell from the Teteliguri highland area and started a search. Later, we found two carcasses of a Royal Bengal Tiger and a wild boar at the spot. Both carcasses have been decomposed and we believe the fight may have happened about 10 days ago," Kaziranga National Park Director P Shivakumar said.

According to Sarmah, the tiger sustained grievous injuries in its belly and the wild boar had multiple injury marks on its body. With this, Kaziranga National Park has so far lost three royal Bengal tigers this year. Besides, 18 rhinos and 135 wild animals were killed in flood.

Source

The image posted in the article is blurred so it's hard to see the details from the fight. I'm curious to read others' opinion on this article. Boar shouldn't be underestimated at all.

Cover up imo.

*This image is copyright of its original author

There are 2 pictures associated with this account. The first
shows a Tiger and Boar together with the Tiger looking wet
And seems to be suffering more decay than the boar. And if they are claiming that is how they were found then when have you seen two animals simultaneously drop dead next to one another?

The next shows a wire snare around the waist of that Tiger. Multiple people commenting the same on both these images on FB as well.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(09-07-2020, 10:27 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Source

Cover up imo.

And seems to be suffering more decay than the boar. And if they are claiming that is how they were found then when have you seen two animals simultaneously drop dead next to one another?

The next shows a wire snare around the waist of that Tiger. Multiple people commenting the same on both these images on FB as well.

It could definitely be a cover-up, similar to the tigress-leopard incident, however on the first picture I see it as highly unlikely for them to stage the bodies of both animals side-by-side. I'm gonna wait to see if more information comes along to form my opinion, these cases should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-07-2020, 11:34 PM by Shadow )

(09-07-2020, 10:27 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Source

Cover up imo.

Tiger and wild boar in the first photo are in decomposed state. It was said, that they found them about 10 days after they killed each others. So that second photo is some other tiger. Just some random photo used to show a dead tiger and now causing confusion. If looking closer the photo with both animals, that tiger in in first photo couldn´t look that good as the tiger in"snare photo" no matter if washed or not. Also different terrain and no snare in the first photo. It is confusing, when media use stock photo in wrong place. Anyway people who are interested should forget that stock photo and focus to that one which has both animals and is obviously only authentic photo from this case.

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

that's as ridiculous as the leopard and 4 yr old adult tigress supposedly fighting and dropping dead a few feet from each other,a bloated leopard in a more decomposed state and a tigress with no visible injuries and not even close to same decomposition state,all the little fanatical kids parading this sensational garbage around like some fact when it's clearly fowl play no type of critical thought was put in people just ran with it..what?

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(09-07-2020, 11:40 PM)Rage2277 Wrote: that's as ridiculous as the leopard and 4 yr old adult tigress supposedly fighting and dropping dead a few feet from each other,a bloated leopard in a more decomposed state and a tigress with no visible injuries and not even close to same decomposition state,all the little fanatical kids parading this sensational garbage around like some fact when it's clearly fowl play no type of critical thought was put in people just ran with it..what?

I agree with you on the leopard story, most likely it was a cover-up for poaching and they only released one picture of the leopard, not even in the same shot as the tigress. As for this one, I have my doubts because the first picture does look authentic, so I'm not sure.

animal enthusiast

(09-08-2020, 12:33 AM)Balam Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 11:40 PM)Rage2277 Wrote: that's as ridiculous as the leopard and 4 yr old adult tigress supposedly fighting and dropping dead a few feet from each other,a bloated leopard in a more decomposed state and a tigress with no visible injuries and not even close to same decomposition state,all the little fanatical kids parading this sensational garbage around like some fact when it's clearly fowl play no type of critical thought was put in people just ran with it..what?

I agree with you on the leopard story, most likely it was a cover-up for poaching and they only released one picture of the leopard, not even in the same shot as the tigress. As for this one, I have my doubts because the first picture does look authentic, so I'm not sure.

a boar can badly wound a tiger for sure but dying on the spot..highly unlikely,the scene looks staged to me the placement of grass the position of the animals i mean did they even try..that just looks ridiculous.
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(09-08-2020, 12:33 AM)Balam Wrote:

Wild boars can kill tigers sometimes, there are reported cases so in that way this here is nothing so special and that boar in photo has nasty looking tusks. Then again have someone moved carcasses to inspect them before taking photo, who knows. Overall carcasses look quite the same, so in that way it backs up what is told.

From this one photo it´s impossible to really make conclusions to one way or another. So it´s up to it if people trust to officials in India or not in this kind of case. I don´t see any reason why this couldn´t be what is told. One of these cases which everyone decide themselves if they believe or not, but it seems to go to the statistics as a fight in which both animals died. Without knowing more about injuries/wounds I won´t start to speculate how carcasses "should have been" when founded.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

From this link can be found another photo of dead tiger and wild boar. Condition of bodies can be seen even better from this one.

https://www.pratidintime.com/tiger-kille...kaziranga/

One thing to remember is, that even if both have died to injuries caused by a fight and if immobilized, time of death can be somewhat different. Difficult to know from these photos.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Here a case from 2019 and Bandipur just to compare a bit. In this tiger survived longer time and was able to move.

https://starofmysore.com/tiger-wild-boar...ce-battle/

animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 02:54 AM by Rage2277 )

i don't even see injuries on the boar's carcass which would mainly be on the back of the neck and shoulder region and let's not pretend like fabricating stories is beneath the FD,it happens alot. yea they're lined up casually nose to nose..riiight,that 'isn't strange at all.

animal enthusiast

(09-08-2020, 01:53 AM)Shadow Wrote: Here a case from 2019 and Bandipur just to compare a bit. In this tiger survived longer time and was able to move.

more garbage,where are the actual photos? these can't be the animals in this supposed incident a tiger with milk teeth isn't killing anything on the level of a wild boar.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(09-08-2020, 05:09 AM)Rage2277 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 01:53 AM)Shadow Wrote: Here a case from 2019 and Bandipur just to compare a bit. In this tiger survived longer time and was able to move.

more garbage,where are the actual photos? these can't be the animals in this supposed incident a tiger with milk teeth isn't killing anything on the level of a wild boar.

I know that some people don´t believe that wild boars could kill tigers, but still there are reports from Russia and India. Then as this case show, photos can be partially illustrations or stock photos making it time to time difficult to know which photos are authentic and which just used to have some photo of a dead tiger in media. Same way many people don´t believe at all, that tigers would have killed adult rhinos etc. because same kind of thoughts, that framed garbage.

Anyway I personally don´t have any problems to believe that some tigers get killed in hunting wild boars, it´s just something what happens time to time. This latest case can be real or not, impossible to say from these photos too much. It can be asked why bother to frame something like that when they report nowadays quite often if some tiger has been poisoned or killed in some other way by people. Getting rid of some tiger body isn´t that difficult if some villagers would have killed it and then didn´t want it to be known. Quite hard work to go and kill some wild boar and then drag it in the same place with a tiger to frame something. Wild boar is a lot of good meat to make some food after all :)

All in all, my opinion from this case is, that possibly this is a real case, but naturally it can be something else, depending how eager people there have been to frame something. Maybe there is some reason good enough for some people to do so, question is then, why bother? Cover up poaching can be said and possible, but this tiger was in decomposing state and all body parts there.